Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP ! Click on start then nothing

A few days ago, I went to start my 1995 Legacy and all I got was a click.

I jumped the car and drove to Advance Auto to have them check evrything (it was a fairly new battery). Everything checked out as good...battery, alternator and starter. I went ahead and bought a new battery anyway for piece of mind.

Well this morning, the same thing. Turn the ignition and all I get is a "click". After numerous attempts with jumper cables attached, it finally did turn over and start and has been starting good as new all day.

Ignition switch maybe??? I don't have any other ideas.

How hard are they to install?

A few days ago, I went to start my 1995 Legacy and all I got was a click.

I jumped the car and drove to Advance Auto to have them check evrything (it was a fairly new battery). Everything checked out as good...battery, alternator and starter. I went ahead and bought a new battery anyway for piece of mind.

Well this morning, the same thing. Turn the ignition and all I get is a "click". After numerous attempts with jumper cables attached, it finally did turn over and start and has been starting good as new all day.

Ignition switch maybe??? I don't have any other ideas.

How hard are they to install?

Starter solenoid contacts are worn out

You can replace the contacts or replace the starter

SEA#3

As mentioned it could worn starter contacts. Next time it happens, try tapping the starter with a hammer. If the tapping works it may indicate worn contacts. Or sometimes when the starter sees the hammer it will be scared back into operation.
I second the starter test here. It's a good test. If the hammer fixes it, you know it's the starter. If that doesn't fix it, it may possibly the parking sensor (the sensor that tells the computer that the car is in park to allow it to start).

I would highly recomend checking your battery leads for corrosion.. making sure that the contacts are clean and fit tightly. Check that the positive cable to the starter is tightened down good. Check that the grounds are clean and tight. Do the tapping the starter test as well.. because you gotta love how "tapping with a hammer" fixes so many things!!

Starter solenoid contacts are worn out

You can replace the contacts or replace the starter

SEA#3

Save your money - go for the contacts first! Since you can occassionaly get this thing running, make your next trip to the alternator repair shop. They usually rebuild alternators and starters......and they will most likely have the contacts you need. They will look like this when you open up the solenoid:

Worn contacts at 89,000 miles ................and the $7 replacement contacts:

2035802_9.jpg2035802_8.jpg

So even after the replacement, 51,000 miles later on the contacts, this is what they looked when the car hit 140,000 miles.

2035802_71.jpg