Ultimate Subaru Message Board

PIC00018.JPG

Picture says it all. I think a tire blew out at 110kph in a corner, slid into a bank. Car spun around and destroyed itself. Airbag did not deploy, and i just happen to be the right height so even with a seatbelt on i smashed my face into the wheel.

I was the only occupant, no other vehicles involved.

Hospital says im ok, car is terminal. I loved that thing.

Picture says it all. I think a tire blew out at 110kph in a corner, slid into a bank. Car spun around and destroyed itself. Airbag did not deploy, and i just happen to be the right height so even with a seatbelt on i smashed my face into the wheel.

That is a real downer. I am glad to see you are standing and appear to be OK. What is on the road about 100 meters from where your car is? 110 kph (65ish mph for us yanks) isn't real fast for that gentle of a curve, how many of your tires are blown out? Once again bummer. But 2 positives:

1-I love you shirt!

2-What gorgeous countryside. You New Zealanders must get spoiled by the beauty.

Now if you had been driving on the correct side of the road, this might not have happened. LOL

Actually sorry about the accident, damage doesn't look too bad, you lucky the air bags didn't deploy, that would have added about a thousand or more to the cost.

the cars is totaled, so actually you should try to figre out why the air bags didn't deploy and are unfortunate, although air bags hurt, they're much softer than a steering wheel.

Good to see ur alright.

You must work for an insurance company. Unless that rear damage is worst that I can see from the angle in the photo, I see nothing here that isn't an easy fix. If all these hits were glancing blows, the air bags would not have deployed, they are set to deploy when there is a specific force in a specific direction, nothing else sets them off.

I willing to bet that both wheel assembleys in the ditch are ****ed, The hubs/steeering knuckles, suspension, suspension mounts, cross member, sways, endlinks, etc.... I wont go into detail, I'll let keltik devulge the info if he wants to. And the fact that he said "the car is terminal" - I took that to mean it's totaled. What else would it mean?

If I work for an insurance agency why are you telling me how air bags work. From just looking at the front clip, it seems that they would deploy from entering the ditch.

Manarius is right on it, i THINK a tire blew out. It was a road ive driven many times in various conditions, clearly something went wrong in that corner. It is my fault, at the end of the day i was the person driving. I dont think im gonna be getting behind the wheel again for a few days....and yes this has made me think long and hard about the way i drive.

PIC00025.JPG

PIC000221.JPG

PIC000211.JPG

A seat belt saved my life today.

ouch.

On the plus side, you could buy a base 92 impreza and swap in the driveline.

And yeah, you have to hit something straight on pretty hard to get the airbag to go. My sister rear ended someone in my car and totaled the car she hit. No airbag.

That turn (from what can be seen) should be easy at 68mph. Manarius, for you to say you shouldn't go around any turn at 70mph is absurd. Yes, keltik, you are the driver, but if you're to think a tire blew out than there should be no reason to place the entire blame on you. Over corrected, under corrected, etc... You live and learn, but to think a tire blew out cleary shows that something went terribly wrong that wasn't under your control.

I sent u a pm - gotta question for you.

it was a hot car man! to bad you its totalled :( by the way, you look EXACTLY like my cousin, if he were a little older, and if you had a italian background:-p

Anyway, i dont think at 70mph you would have just lost it, you much have had a tire blow out, i can't see you just loosing it on a dry road, ive cornered at 90MPH once(please don't do this, very unsafe, but i was angry) and the car was very controllable even with the 14" steel rims, and no rear sway bar. :-\ I guess you should pick up another legacy JUST like that one, maybe just not turbo, and swap everything, and your good to go. However your probably a little dramatized now, don't worry it will wear off. Good luck.

PIC00018.JPG

Uh - dude - your belt is undone. What were you REALLY doing before the crash???

Glad you're mostly OK. Try to find something to learn from the experience.

Could you have rolled the tire off the bead? maybe run more air pressure for future 'spirited' driving safety.

Carl

Air bags look for a specific force and a specific shock profile. When i got rear ended at the red light at about 50 mph, the car that hit me did not have his airbag go off. They are finicky things. Soft hits (like soil) wont set them off necassarily.

Glad your ok. A blow out on a curve at 30 mph can cause a loss of control they key is the curve.

nipper

Uh - dude - your belt is undone. What were you REALLY doing before the crash???

Glad you're mostly OK. Try to find something to learn from the experience.

Could you have rolled the tire off the bead? maybe run more air pressure for future 'spirited' driving safety.

Carl

Well spotted with the belt, it got caught as i was climbing out the window.

I learned the faster you go the more it hurts.

And yes its entirely possible i could have rolled the tire off the bead, they were relatively high profile tires (205/65) inflated to an unknown pressure.

Thanks for the support guys, one things for sure - i got a project for the summer now.

It's a shame to see such a car go. But, you know what I'm glad to see that you recognize what could have been your mistake. What irritates me the most is ricers who just go out and drive real fast even though they haven't got a clue about how to drive fast. And then they complain when they wreck their cars because they can't drive.

I can totally believe you lost tire pressure to lose it in a corner that way. If I talked about the way I used to drive my legacy, "they" would ban me from USMB... 65mph in that corner doesn't seem all that bad. BTW, when my GF put the legacy into a telephone pole at 30mph the airbags did not deploy. Plus I've had a couple friends that had their noses broken by air bags.. so you're no worse for the wear. Good to see you "Smiling" about it after the fact. Sorry for your loss, I know your pain! Love the shirt! :headbang: