Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Air bags look for a specific force and a specific shock profile. When i got rear ended at the red light at about 50 mph, the car that hit me did not have his airbag go off. They are finicky things. Soft hits (like soil) wont set them off necassarily.

Glad your ok. A blow out on a curve at 30 mph can cause a loss of control they key is the curve.

nipper

Actually 96-99 Legacies have an issue with their airbag sensors. I have a current lawsuit with my insurance company against Subaru for an airbag issue. After talking with State Farm special investigator they say they have issue with these years going off when they are not supposed to and not going off when needed. My 96 outback bags deployed when I hit a car in going less than 2mpg, both bags deployed and totaled the car with no other damage to the front end at all. I will see if I can find the page on NHTSA that talks about these issues.

This is why I went back to a first generation, no bags to deal with.;)

You totaled a brand new car to you.....maybe you ought to consider your driving habits.

Manarius, since your only 18 years old what the hell would you know about driving habits? Your coment to this gentleman was uncalled for, use your head dude.