Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is anything worth saving?

I saved the seats, all the doors that arent bent and interior trim pieces. I have the one headlight that survived and the gauge cluster and center console/armrest. Now comes the fun part of pulling the engine and gearbox. I got the front of the motor apart and found the timing belt was still intact, however the cam sprockets on the one side had shattered.

PIC00035.JPG

And i finally know the joy of undoing the crank pulley. After trying a 6ft bar on my ratchet with the car in gear (the engine turned) i got it off using the redneck impact gun - giving the wrench hell with a BFH.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=13683&cat=500&ppuser=17976

How can i tell if this motor is worth saving? And how the hell am i supposed to get this air con pump off!?!?

Oh noo!!! if that broke, then? is that engine interference? Hopefully there is no internal damage, i wonder if doing a compression check on the pistons would determine whether the engine is worth your time, and/or the valves are bent. Wait do i see the crankcase cracked? or no lol, i dont know what im looking at.

Id pull the whole engine and leave the compressor on. Disconnect the lines if the refrigerant has leaked out already instead of unbolting it from the engine in the car.

You could drop the crossmembers and all the underbody stuff enough to just lift the body off the engine and transmission...junk the body and start looking for a donor body to reinstall it to.

You have definately bent the valves in the engine...Id guess 8-10 of them. A leak down test once the engine is out of the car would be best to determine engine condition.

Thank you shawn for an on topic reply. The refrigerant is still all in it so i just bent all the lines out the way and wrestled the compressor off.

Good idea with lifting the body off the engine, may have to try that as everything is so bent up i dont think its gonna come out the other way.

Finally how hard should the cams be to turn? On every other engine ive worked on it takes a fair bit of force to rotate them, but on this one they will spin 90-100degrees freely.

Anyhows the engines toast, but ill save it all in case i can use some of the parts in my next car.

the engine is probably fine. maybe new headgaskets to inspect and replace any valves and you're done. did leak and run out of oil or anything? did you shut it off quickly after the accident, if so it's fine and plenty fixable. like shawn said, replace the bad valves, slap on new headgaskets and on your way.

The motor was off when the car finally stopped and first instincts made me rip the key out. Oil is still clean and on the full mark, and amazingly the sump is straight and clean. No external problems as far as i can see, well except for the cams on the one head. Ill go down to the rebuilders once ive got the engine out and get them to quote me some parts.

Thank you shawn for an on topic reply. The refrigerant is still all in it so i just bent all the lines out the way and wrestled the compressor off.

Good idea with lifting the body off the engine, may have to try that as everything is so bent up i dont think its gonna come out the other way.

Finally how hard should the cams be to turn? On every other engine ive worked on it takes a fair bit of force to rotate them, but on this one they will spin 90-100degrees freely.

Anyhows the engines toast, but ill save it all in case i can use some of the parts in my next car.

if you are trashing the rest of the car, get a sawzall and cut away the front bumper, and cross member , and top radiator support (all the cross pieces between the bumper mounting points) and just slide the whole eng / trans. forward. you only have to jack up the car enough to clear the the engine cross member.

Cheers, the whole front end has been chopped already, dont have a sawzall tho so did it with love and care using a big hammer and a hacksaw. :clap: Engine should be coming out today, the intake valves are all opening and closing nicely - i dont know if theyre sealing however, ill check that today. This mornings goal is to get the gearbox seperated, that lower bolt on the starter motor is confusing me and with most of the car disassembled i only snapped one other bolt! :rolleyes:

Anyone who has requested interior parts or whatever, flick me a pm with your address and ill find out the postage. For the guy who requested the tail lights: thats todays job, so dont panic it shall be done!

the head which had cam sprocket damage may or may not be fubar. a compression test would check this. also if you plan to use them I would magnaflux. in any case, the heads are still worth a little money unless cracked, and the bottom end a couple hundred as its good im sure.