Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The cruise has stopped working on my wife's '99 Legacy Wagon. The cruise indicator light comes on when you push the dash button but when you try to set it using the little paddle switch located at the 4 o'clock position on the column it won't engage. The horn still works and the air bag light is not on. I know with my '94 Caravan I used to have, if the clock spring went you usually lost everything with controls on the wheel including the airbag. I'm not familiar with how it works on the Subaru. Thanks for your help.

clock spring? I know that caravan's are american made, but I didn't think they were that antiquated to run off of a clock spring.

But seriously, it sounds like the wire to the set button is missing somewhere. Taking a look at a wiring diagram might be in order, to see if it's got it's own connector under the dash, or if it's in a big monoblock connecter where everything goes to the steering wheel at once. Once you have access to the connector, you can test for continuity while pressing the buttons.

Auto or 5 speed? If its a 5 speed there is a little rubber pad at the top of the clutch pedal which is suposed to push in a switch to tell the car the clutch is out. This pad tends to fall off and is a hole in the metal plate and the switch doesn't get pushed. A little hard to explain but you'll get it when you see it. Anyway go up there and tape a peny onto the peice of metal on the clutch. This happened to me a few years back, I was looking all over then I came in searched the board and it was fized in 5 mins. Good luck.

A clock spring isn't related to a clock,it is generally a thin ribbon of metal inside the steering wheel that provides for continous contact,mainly I think for

power to the air bag system,used widely in Chrysler,Jeep products.

John

everyone with airbags uses one. In some cars its also part of the vehicals dynamics control for steering angle.

nipper

I got home late tonight and it's cold and raining out....OK- I'm a pansy tonight and don't feel like going out in the dark to check the it out. I'll let you know what I find. Hopefully it's just a pad missing.

If you own a 2nd generation Caravan/Voyager it seems to be about a 50/50 chance you will eventually replace your clock spring during the entire life of the vehicle - I don't know what the odds are with other makes but I would assume they're produced by a small band of companies and widely distributed. Anything will only flex so many times before it gives. For those who aren't sure how a clock spring in your car works, think of a tape measure and how it will pull out and retract.

I got home late tonight and it's cold and raining out....OK- I'm a pansy tonight and don't feel like going out in the dark to check the it out. I'll let you know what I find. Hopefully it's just a pad missing.

If you own a 2nd generation Caravan/Voyager it seems to be about a 50/50 chance you will eventually replace your clock spring during the entire life of the vehicle - I don't know what the odds are with other makes but I would assume they're produced by a small band of companies and widely distributed. Anything will only flex so many times before it gives. For those who aren't sure how a clock spring in your car works, think of a tape measure and how it will pull out and retract.

this seems to be a weakness with chrsyler products. I've yet to hear of one go bad on a sooby, and only one on a GM.

nipper