Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any tricks to getting the crankshaft bolt back on??

Is this a Manual or AT? If it is an auto, then you can pull a rubber cover plug from the front end of the tranny housing and get access to the flexplate. There are a couple of notches in the plate sufficiently beefy to allow you to wedge a screwdriver in there and effectively keep the thing from turning. If a MT, then the advice you've got from the other guys (in gear, parking brake set, etc.) in combination with the "impact hammer" trick will work.

I read somewhere that there is a hole in the transmission bellhousing that accomodates a special flywheel tool that bolts to the housing or maybe just sits there and has teeth that sit in the teeth of the flywheel/ flexplate. Will try to find where I read this and pass it along.

John

The tool I'm talking about looks like the one on the right in this pic. You can get the actual Subaru tool from subaru.spx.com but it's like $70.crankpulleybreaker1.jpg

i used a belt tool like that, and torque it to 100 ftlbs then drove to my subaru dealer and they torqued it to 140ft-lbs, free, since im a good customer. Im guessing the chain has rubber around it, so u dont damage the pulley correct?

If it's a manual, put it in 5th gear and the parking brake should hold the car stationary.

I've made a couple of tools to hold the crank pulley, basically replicating the super-expensive one you can buy from Subaru. Just get some angle iron, a couple of bolts, and a welder, and you're set.