Ultimate Subaru Message Board

just when i thought i was finished

Tibia

ok so here is my situation

i have an 87 gl spfi wagon 5spd d/r 4x4

so far i have replaced timing belts, oil pump seals, cam seals, fuel pump & filter, radiator hoses, thermostat and fans. when i put everything back together and filled with oil and marvels, i noticed a little leak on the pas. side cam cover.

so i replaced the cam cover gasket, then i noticed that little hose from the tstat to the block had that little puncture. i replaced that and started her up, i'm still getting white smoke from under the engine. it seems to start from where the oil was leaking from the cam cover but cant tell.

as i type this i am waiting for the engine to dry, i just used degreaser again. i will try again and see if i am still having this problem.

has anyone else had this problem?

thanks in advance

Tibia

earlier post said to spray area with a powder deoderant after engine is clean and dry and it will collect where the oil leaks from forming a trail...

I am about to do what you just did so no first hand experience yet as I am still pouring a quart of oil in and leaving a trail down the road:grin:

well, after cleaning and looking at it time after time the smoke seams to be coming from the cat. like something is dripping on it.

i took her for a little test drive around the block and besides from not having any balls (assuming its the ign. timing that i never took care off) when i pulled back in it was smoking up a storm, still no sign of oil. it doesnt look like its coming from the trans axle. i did notice the tranny fluid was really low.

oh i forgot to mention when i stopped the oil pressure dropped way down almost nothing

well i guess ill take another look in the morning

the stock oil pressure gauge is not known for being very accurate (none of the stock guages are all that accurate on these), but it is common to show little or no pressure on a warm engine at idle.

what is the pressure running at speed? mine runs a bit over 45 when oil is properly filled at about 60 mph.

Oil pressure has returned to 'normal'. At 1500 we're seeing 80 psi on the gauge. Drops down to 35 or so when at 700 idle. :) Will keep an eye on it just in case.

Finaly found where the oil smoke is coming from... from inside the bolt-on covers surrounding the exhaust pipes, from the exhaust manifolds to the cat.

Any ideas of what we'll find once the covers are removed, ie fiberglass packing, etc ?

Do these covers serve any purpose ?

Tibia

Oil pressure has returned to 'normal'. At 1500 we're seeing 80 psi on the gauge. Drops down to 35 or so when at 700 idle. :) Will keep an eye on it just in case.

Finaly found where the oil smoke is coming from... from inside the bolt-on covers surrounding the exhaust pipes, from the exhaust manifolds to the cat.

Any ideas of what we'll find once the covers are removed, ie fiberglass packing, etc ?

Do these covers serve any purpose ?

Tibia

they're heat shields, and, they shield heat :grin:

inside there is some sort of fiberglass yeah, I removed the shields from the cat on my XT and found dozens of rust pinholes, out of these pinholes watery substance sprayed on the cat and burned off, causing smoke.