Ultimate Subaru Message Board

clean(er) fuel, here I come

Well, I just dropped $70 on one of these fuel filters for the 92 Legacy:

52237F-p.jpg

Of course, I won't be able to install it until I get back from vacation in three weeks, but I'll let you know how it works. In case you're curious, it's got:

-A spin-on 10 micron filter element (I'm looking to see if I can get a 2-micron replacement):headbang:

-"aquablock" water separating coating on the element, so water beads up and collects in that blue bowl on the bottom, where you can drain it off:headbang:

-rated for WAY more power than my EJ22 could dream of:headbang:

Hm...the '92 is fuel injected right? I think I looked at those units before and they weren't rated for fuel injection use (pressure too high) (though it might have been something else I was looking at).

I ended up going with these Canton/Mecca Racing spin on fuel/water separators. SummitRacing has PermaCool filter mounts that will fit this thread.

The filters have a repaceable filter element in 1 micron or 8 micron size.

(The only issue is they told me for the 1 micron size it should be plumbed to flow inside out, but that doesn't work too well for the water separation.)

cantonmarine1.jpg

Prior to that I had a PermaCool fuel/water separator installed, but the filters tended to leak. They said they were good for fuel injection use, but the hose that came with it was not fuel injection hose. I had to seal the bung with JBweld every time to prevent a leaky filter.

I can't imagine that a filter could do enough of anything to get more power out of the EJ22.

Who said anything about making more power? He stated that the filter would not hinder the flow because its rated to flow enough.

I second the "I thought it was not for fuel injection" worry...

Who said anything about making more power? He stated that the filter would not hinder the flow because its rated to flow enough.

I second the "I thought it was not for fuel injection" worry...[ /quote]

That's what I was referring to when I mentioned the flow capacity.

I'll have to see about the pressure...I've run similar filters from WIX before without trouble, but I'll keep an eye on it.

The big thing up here is water in the fuel from condensation. In one 12 hour drive between Haines and Anchorage, I'll go from sea level to 3500 feet and back three times, and change temperature from -40 to +40 at least once. Aside from that, lots of the gas stations in really small towns have about the same fuel quality as in Mexico.