Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1984 Ea81t electrical question

So when the car's turned off..

stepping on the brake pedal makes the dashboard lighting and the headlights come on halfway...:confused: I'm in the market for an FSM but without one, I'd prefer to get some other people's feedback before I dive in. Any thoughts, anyone? :brow:

One of the dash lights is a little red "!" in a circle, under the car-shaped readout for the doors and such. I don't have an owner's manual but I might guess that it's the brake fluid sensor?

Thanks...

So when the car's turned off..

stepping on the brake pedal makes the dashboard lighting and the headlights come on halfway...:confused: I'm in the market for an FSM but without one, I'd prefer to get some other people's feedback before I dive in. Any thoughts, anyone? :brow:

One of the dash lights is a little red "!" in a circle, under the car-shaped readout for the doors and such. I don't have an owner's manual but I might guess that it's the brake fluid sensor?

Thanks...

The headlights come on halfway? That needs to be clarified some:confused: I would suspect a frayed wire somewhere around the brake pedal/dash area.

Have you checked the brake fluid yet?. Make sure the e-brake is all the way down also.

Press the little switch on the pedal by hand and see if it's related to the switch, or the movement of the pedal itself. Probably the switch that turns on the brakelights. The ! thing is the brake lamp warning indicator telling you that a bulb is out back there..... brake lights always have power, so it sounds like there's a problem in the circuit somewhere. Maybe the brake lamp checker is shotsky.

GD

• 1 month later...

well, this problem is not occurring now..

This progressed from the above symptoms to:

dash/shifter illumination only on with the brake pedal depressed, to:

no dash/shifter illumination at all.

What could it have been? demons in the master cylinder? gremlins in the brake pedal switch? Hobbits in the digidash?

The fuse which these all share was burnt.. I changed the fuse a week ago and the cockpit illumination is working properly now. I'm checking the fuse every day or two to see if it starts to progressively degrade as the other one apparently did, so far so good.

(Both brake lights were fine BTW)

But... what's the red light of the circled exclamation point for? Under the tell-tale diagram of the car? It isn't on at all anymore now that the fuse has been changed, and the digidash isn't explored at all in the FSM...

thanks!

well, this problem is not occurring now..

This progressed from the above symptoms to:

dash/shifter illumination only on with the brake pedal depressed, to:

no dash/shifter illumination at all.

What could it have been? demons in the master cylinder? gremlins in the brake pedal switch? Hobbits in the digidash?

The fuse which these all share was burnt.. I changed the fuse a week ago and the cockpit illumination is working properly now. I'm checking the fuse every day or two to see if it starts to progressively degrade as the other one apparently did, so far so good.

(Both brake lights were fine BTW)

But... what's the red light of the circled exclamation point for? Under the tell-tale diagram of the car? It isn't on at all anymore now that the fuse has been changed, and the digidash isn't explored at all in the FSM...

thanks!

It is the stoplamp checker.You had a faulty brake light circuit.

It's the brake lamp checker. There's a device in the brake lamp circuits that will trip that indicator if the bulb fails. Corrosion in the bulb socket can also cause intermittant illumination of the indicator. The checker's themselves rarely fail.

GD