Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What's your opinion on this?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000BQ08QO/ref=amb_link_1913962_1/105-9202320-1661241

Seems like a really good idea in theory. It would be much easier to do oil changes (even though it's not hard as it is) but it would definetly cut down on the time it takes. What I like about this as opposed to the other types of fluid vacs out there is that this sucks from the drain plug, not the dipstick tube. Not sure I'm quite sold enough to buy one though. What do you think?

The scary thing is i almost like it. On the plus side by mounting your oil filter remotely you add oil capacity to the system. The pump at the drain plug is a good idea, but its supceptable to road debree depnding upon how its done. If its a suction pump it may work.

On the down side, no matter how good it is, it wont get all the oil out of the pan. There will be oil trapped between the pump and the pan. Also it keeps you from getting under the car once every oil change to inspect the chassis of the car.

nipper

Nipper, I'm with you on the increased oil capacity, but what about the added resistance to motion in the extra pipe/hoses ? What will that do for flow in the engine block?
I agree with you on that. I'm not sure the engine designers had that setup in mind when they designed the position of filter.

If you want easier, get a Fumoto Valve for a drain plug. Unfortunately, if you happen to break it off while you're driving along, that would make for quite the disaster.

Nipper, I'm with you on the increased oil capacity, but what about the added resistance to motion in the extra pipe/hoses ? What will that do for flow in the engine block?

nothing. There is plenty of capacity for that since the filter is moved to a differnt location, but still in the same place in the oil circuit. People been doing this for years with no loss and a bit of a gain because of the oil capacity. Coolers have the same effect.

nipper

I suppose if you put excessively huge number of miles on the car AND/OR had a mobility problem preventing you from getting under the car but still wanted to do the changes yourself (or a stealthy way to do changes in an apartment complex) it looks like a workable idea.

Otherwise, for the money - I'd rather have an oil cooler.

Carl

On the down side, no matter how good it is, it wont get all the oil out of the pan. There will be oil trapped between the pump and the pan.

I suppose that would be true, especially if your car is facing downhill when you use this device. Perhaps the way the adapter for the drain plug is designed so that there isn't anything actually sticking into the pan and thereby would get more oil out. Judging from the pictures on Amazon it's hard to tell.

I don't think pumping out the oil will adequately remove the sludge that builds up in the bottom of the oil pan, nor the tiny metal shavings that build up on the drain plug after time. I personally don't like the idea. I'll stick to doing it the way it was engineered.

I agree on the metal shavings. However I've also seen magnets that you can attatch to your oil filter that claim to attract metal shavings and keep it in the filter. I have no idea how well or if they work but if they do, that could be a work around for that issue.

I probably will not end up getting one of these. Wasn't really considering it since oil changes are so not a PITA to me at all and I rather like getting a bit dirty. What caught my eye was how they pump the oil out through the plug. I would be nice if I could find someplace where they did a long term test with this thing and then pulled the pan to see how much junk was left in it.

That's an interesting kit. It's cheap enough. I don't know if I'd use that particular kit because it almost seems too cheap. I mean you want good quality components, especially hose, in a kit like that because failure could mean serious damage to your engine. I also don't like hose barb fittings for pressurized engine oil. There are other such kits available with hydraulic hose and hydraulic fittings, albeit of course more costly.

Increased engine oil capacity can be a good thing in maybe extending drain intervals a bit. Increased capacity is not necessarily good if you make a lot of short trips. Any engine oil cooler should be used with a thermostat.