Ultimate Subaru Message Board

stuck major friday night... pics...

scrap487

well no pics of when I got stuck, but I got stuck pretty darn good for a stock subaru. Tried using my nissan to pull the subaru out, gave up after 45 minutes, 2 bumpers, broken tow hook on the nissan, and dug it in the last time trying to get the subaru out... got out of that mess intially but we gave up and were gonna head back to portland, got into the nissan, moved about 25 feet and oops, should have watched where I was going, cause it sunk into the ruts originally made by my subaru.

Heres the pics of the morning after:

IMG00132.jpg

IMG00131.jpg

IMG00130.jpg

IMG00128.jpg

IMG00129.jpg

IMG00126.jpg

Oh yeah, guy came saved us in an old international 1300(I think?), pretty big truck witha pto winch. It pulled the subaru out just fine, but broke the cable 3 times trying to get the nissan out(it didnt move an inch), and then broke another towhook yanking on it with a chain. Going up next weekend to see what I can do, anyone want to tag along? May or may not have a log skidder available.

they were sturdy, at least the rear bumper was, practically broke my neck yanking on that thing. I think its time to get a winch. I dont have a drill press so I reused the stock bumper mounts. On the front my welds had torn, I did that bumper before I was any good at welding thin metal with stick so it was pretty icky... the rear my welds were very very solid, the stock mount itself failed and had nothing to do with my work.

ok, i need to get that nissan out... and i'm not quite sure how I can do it. the guy I know with the log skidders I cant get ahold of, and the only other thing I have at hand that would make a great anchor for a vehicle with a winch, our back hoe, does not run right now. anyone got ideas and willing to help?

When the chips are down, I dig.

Ya, it sucks and ya it takes a long time

and ya, it's messy but it's the only sure-fire way

to get out and it cuts down on body damage.:-\

Good Friends come in real handy at times like this...:rolleyes:

What area is the Nissan in?

Have a high lift! And I dig pretty good also.

Not much for tranversing the mud, as you can imagine! Dang crutches sink out of sight!:eek:

Will give a hand if I can.:)

Stumpy

everything on the surface is frozen now, I just chose the WRONG time to do that because of the massive amount of rain we had earlier... high lift MAY work, BUT I dont have one, and with that much force it will probably push right through the top 4-8" of frozen mud to where there is still slop.

I will DEFINATE try a highlift if I can get one though,even though I dont think it will work... the digging idea is all but impossible unless I can get the backhoe running, because the ground is FROZEN SOLID, and anything that hadnt soaked up water from the rain earlier, the dry ground, is ROCK HARD.... so maybe some kind of tracked forklift?

I have one of the 60" 5ton one's. Had to upgrade after I bent the 48" 3.5ton one. Dang China made stuff.

With out a good base it will push through. How far down is hard pan?

I have used 2x material before to get more surface area. Or plate steel but thats not much fun to pack around.

Still have a receiver winch set up but no rig to hook it to since I sold that Ford 4x4. Don't think my van would be of much help, couldn't get it close to the work area cause it's an oversized wimp!!

Stumpy

I have one of the 60" 5ton one's. Had to upgrade after I bent the 48" 3.5ton one. Dang China made stuff.

With out a good base it will push through. How far down is hard pan?

I have used 2x material before to get more surface area. Or plate steel but thats not much fun to pack around.

Still have a receiver winch set up but no rig to hook it to since I sold that Ford 4x4. Don't think my van would be of much help, couldn't get it close to the work area cause it's an oversized wimp!!

Stumpy

I have a reciever on both the front and rear, the one in the front is STURDY.. it isnt part of the bumper its tied into the frame REALLY good. What size cable and how long? there is a sturdy tree about I dunno, 200yds away.

I have a reciever on both the front and rear, the one in the front is STURDY.. it isnt part of the bumper its tied into the frame REALLY good. What size cable and how long? there is a sturdy tree about I dunno, 200yds away.

Think it's like 1/2" cable but it's defiantly not that long. Would have to have some additional cable/chains.

Don't have any think else of great length my self. Pulled the only 20' chain apart with the winch a couple years back. Have one heavy choker cable 15' or so. That would still leave us way short.

Dont' let the wheels freeze in, cause then you're really screwed.Me and my friends had 3 toyotas buried in one mudhole, one got stuck and then we buried the others trying to pull it out. We didn't have Ice catching up though.

bit late for that... the next morning the wheels were frozen on both cars, sprayed some WD40 around the brake parts(brakes on the nissan are shot so dont worry about it), and then followed quickly by starter fluid on the subaru... we got the subaru out OK, but 2 wheels had been totally locked up pulling it out and took a while to get unfrozen. next time it stops raining/snowing,and it drys out and the ground freezes enough I've got some heavier equipment lined up to go in, friends old dodge weapons carrier, a log skidder, and a backhoe to serve as an extra anchor