Ultimate Subaru Message Board

some questions on an engine rebuild (for a noob)

hey guys, im sure you've probably been seeing me post a lot of crap lately. well for my 84 wagon i got a back up engine and i thought id tear it apart and start trying to learn some things...today i drained the oil out and removed the heads and hg's. im wondering where to go from hear...cracking the thing in half i should say...in the process of tearing and learning, i want to rebuild it stronger and more powerful. i was thinking of higher compression pistons and junk like that.i was wondering if anybody had some pics of a torn apart engine or helpful hints and how to go about tearing this baby down. thanks for whatever -D

Keep your chin up and quit knocking yourself down. Calling yourself dumb doesnt exactly inspire people to respond to your posts.

If you aren't good at mechanic stuff yet an engine rebuild might not be the first task to take on. Most people start with oil changes, tune ups, tire changes, shocks, brakes, etc. This is because you probably dont have all the tools and equipment required to do the job properly.

Obtain a service manual, preferably a real Factory one from Subaru. Sources like USMB Marketplace, and Ebay are good for that book. The task you are going to take on requires more than USMB can provide. We can help you when you dont understand a certain step in the book or something but asking for a step by step guide on rebuilding an engine is kindof rediculous.

For starters, I would recommend you have an entire backup engine with carb, distributor, etc around. This way you can drop your attempt at a rebuild into the car, and if something isnt perfect you can go back to your backup and fix mistakes.

You'd probably be best off to get an engine reseal kit and start from where you are at right now. Its going to get expensive and complicated from the point you are at forward. Getting everything clean, the crank turned, bearings for the rods and mains, piston rings grooves cleaned and installed, etc...almost as expensive as the car u just bought. A reseal kit would run like 200 bucks or so and have head gaskets, valve covers, etc.

ok... i have a whole crap load of books and ive been using those too but i thought i should ask the pro's whats up...and suggestions on how to get some more juice?.............without turbos?:banana: and some tips on what to do and stuff.thats what im asking

Very true. Worst case scenerio...you blow up an EA81...which is pretty hard.

+1

I would be nice to get some extra power out of a rebuild, but having done a proper rebuild yet, better to just stick to the basics. It wont be too good to sink a lot of money into a motor and end up just blowing it up. Maybe even just start by tearing it down, and putting it backtogether with the same parts and gaskets and seal... its typically the worst idea to reuse seals and gaskets when you rebuild an engine; however you would be tearing it down and putting it back together with the intent of properly rebuilding it after you got the teardown and assembly process down. I really dont have much experiance rebuilding these motors either, I've got one torn apart and ready to go back together in about a week, and another sitting on the bench I'm working on cleaning a lot of gunk off of before I tear it down. It seems there is quite a lot of science as far as performance goes for these motors and it would help to do a considerable amount of research before attempting a build up.

edit: wtf, something completely different from what I said is in my post ?

edit2: oh, it's back to normal now :confused: nevermind

i saw some other threads that were jacked up, i think there are some "issues" today.

you have "books", are they factory service manuals? those are the best if you're doing this serious of a job. they are a tiny percetage of the cost of an engine rebuild and you should get them. haynes, chiltons, etc aren't suitable alternative for a first timer doing engine work of this sort.

get some pistons from ramperformance if you have a few hundred dollars to spend. they have lightweight pistons and can increase your compression ratio as well. on that note, don't use all of your discretionary funds on a motor rebuild. lots of people start and don't finish projects (i've bought alot of them!), don't set yourself back like that. looks like you're on the right track by rebuilding an engine that's not in your car, so stick with that philosophy and keep yourself from getting stuck.

if the engine you have it good you might be well served to leave the short block in tact. there's not much "power" to be gained by playing with the short block. depends on your own situation, $, time and desire but a tiny percentage of available power might not be worth the time and money involved in addressing the things shawn mentioned...crank, mains, rod bearings, rods, pistons, piston rings...etc.

To build a hi-po EA81 you are looking at right around $800 to $1000 for parts and labor (that you can't do yourself). Here's the breakdown of mine:

Chrome Rings: $55

Oversized bearings (crank, and rod) + turned crank: $75 from a board member that no longer needed them - about $150 his cost.

Gaskets: $100 (Fel-Pro head set + conversion set, OEM manifold [intake/exhaust], pan, pump seals, etc)

Heads milled .025": $75 for both

Delta 252 RV torque ground cam + all new hydro lifters: $135

Bottle brush to do the cylinder walls: $65

Parts car for 1600 pistons $1 :eek:

That's alredy $506, and I've been very careful about how I spend - it took me a year to gather everything (I bought a whole car just to part it for the pistons). And I didn't even consider fluids, heli-coil's, cost of my special wrist pin tool, RTV, calipers, micrometer, ect, etc, etc.

It's not a cheap process. Doing it requires some investment in tools, and a not insignificant investment of time and research. Being that the cost is pretty high in comparison to what the vehicle will likely be worth when it's done, I sugest building the highest quality engine you can - that means starting with a hydro lifter block. I wouldn't invest the time or money in a solid lifter engine - it's just too much work.

GD

I wouldn't invest the time or money in a solid lifter engine - it's just too much work.

GD

Hey, whats with the solid lifter bashing! Come on, they're not that bad!

You do want an enigne '83 or newer for sure tho, since they have larger valves...

whatever you do, do it properly, and don't leave bits out, do everything while you have it apart. I hear too often people saying "the bearings were ok" etc - its not worth tearing the whole thing down and not doing everything.

Make sure the block you are using isn't too bad - the cam shaft bearings in particular can't be replaced, so you want to make sure they're alright before proceeding (they usually are, but best to check).

Get a Hone or send it in.. AND GET IT HONED!!!! this will ensure that your new rings seat properly and wonderfully.. OH YEAH.... this step is extreemly important... TAKE... YOUR.... TIME... and read up on porting... remember dont polish your intake its supposed to be rough but you can port it out!! just use the gaskets for reference..

then port and polish your exhaust!!! if you really want to get have your heads machined to a 5 angle cut.. but thats well.. if you wana...

Clean off all the gunk thats in there.. go to wallyworld or something and bring $100 or more... and buy alot of B-12 chemtool and Gasket remover and NON-chlorinated brake cleaner!!! oh yeah and on that note invest in some nitrile gloves (alot) and Saftey glasses.... brake clean is one of the worst feelings I have ever expierenced!! 2nd only to brake fluid!!! OH IT HURTS.

well.. im done rambling Oh yeah.. as for gasket sealer.. I would reccomend Toyota bond... Its not cheap by anymeans.. But it is the best gasket sealer I have ever used... I know people at Porsche and Mercedes that use it primarily!! and blahblahblah... 2 hours later... blahblahblahblahblah turn the key and fire it up!! Oh yeah.. when you finaly get it backtogether.. and your ready to crank it, disable the engine and crank it for 10 secs, then wait 5 secs... then crank it again until you get oil pressure... then fire it up and do the breaking procedure that you can find somewhere on the world of Google.... blahblahblahblah... sorry

I think it would be fun to purchase a briggs & stratton rebuild kit for one of their older "Sport" Engines... I have a 3horse on my cheapy fiberglass frame gocart... and it needs a rebuild...

If you really wana learn engine theory then I would suggest taking apart one of those... and rebuilding them... and hone it... unless you got a Cast Slieved. (spell)