Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what type of tranny oil to use in EA81 5 speed

Hey i looked in my owners manual and online here and cant seem to find what oil this thing takes. I know it takes 2.9 quarts but thats all i know. Ive heard redline is good stuff but what weight and grade and anything do i need to know to get some tranny oil. Just got the tranny in tonight..going to button everything up tomorrow including exhaust and wiring and tell you all how it goes. Thanks guys.

Jeff: Sure! I just filled Dorothy's tranny, so it might be kind of a waste to change it immediately, but maybe I'll save it for the 4spd D/R swap :brow:

Anything around 75w90 will do. I think the Valvoline I buy is actually like 80w90 or something. Pretty much any commercially available automotive gear oil is manufactured at the same grade, so that shouldn't be a problem.

if i dont go the redline route should i stick with something of 75w90 of something else? Are there certain grades like 1,2,3 etc of this stuff. Just want to know what to get. And thanks Crazy D..i hope it runs like the wind too :banana:
you should be fine but i strongly reccomend the redline,cost me $9 a quart, go to a speed shop usually it's all they sell and it's cheaper than valvoline$10-$20 a quart!!

I suggest "cleaning" it first. Either put a quart of rislone in with the rest gear oil. Or you can try the ATF. The trick is to drain the gear oil, replace with ATF, run for a few hundred miles, drain, fill with gear oil. I have ATF in my hatch right now and only after the first 40 miles or so I can notice a huge difference! I had rislone in it before this, it helped, but no where near as much as the ATF.

I'm thinking of using 5w30 synthetic engine oil in it after I drain it. I had several Isuzu's that called for that, some Fords call for ATF in their manual trannies and I can't see what the difference would be? They all have gears and bearings??