Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EGR Pipe threads!

Ah.. ok so my intakes on, and i barley got that stupid EGR pipe in, and it took me aLOT of times of trying and adjusting the pipe to get the stupid nut the thread, and it went in, but only like 1/3 mabye 1/2 the way in, and stopped, and to me it looks abit crooked, im super afriad i crossed it but its not spinning, its tight, but if it leaks, and i crossed the threads, what can i do??? i dont know the thread, pitch, or nothin. there some pretty heavy coarse threads, i hate aluminum.....

oh maybe, it seems to be a more coarse thread than the plugs, but im thinkin about the same in diameter, should i try and see if the plug matches up or threads in? if anyone has any ideas lemmie know, espeically on the size of chaser i should get. Im thinkin like 18? or is that really big, maybe 14?

IIRC it's larger diameter and the thread is coarser as well.

Make sure that the pipe doesn't have any bracketry holding it to the engine or holding something else to the pipe.. I don't recall if there is anything.

Try loosening the pipe at the engine and then remove the pipe from the manifold.. get it threaded properly into the manifold by observing the direction in which it feels misaligned, then leverage the pipe away so that you can feel less resistance when turning the nut in.. and push the pipe straight into the fitting. You want to pressurize it positively. Pushing it straight into the fitting will help to pull it in the proper direction to fit straight.

You should be able to see if the nut is parallel or misaligned while threading it in. You may have to adjust and push the pipe in and straight if it feels to bind up.

Then thread it into the engine afterward as GD says it's the easier connection. You may have to pressurize that fitting as well.

What I would do is remove the tube intirely from the engine, just so I could get a better look at the threads in the head.

"If",,, they're not to messed up, you may be able to use a narrow straight-blade screwdriver to "chase" the threads. Patience is a requirement, slow and easy is the method. You are trying to remove the burrs on the original threads put there by the cross-threading.

Once you have most of the burrs removed or smoothed down, try to start the fitting in. Baccaruda's suggestion of some down-force on the nut could be of benefit. Just be sure you have it straight with the threads, or you'll be right back where you are now.

I have done that to threads in steel and in cast iron, so it should work on aluminum. Just have to be patient, and be mindfull of what you're doing, Can't be in a rush, nor can you go at it like you're chopping wood.

it is slightly larger, with coarser threads. Thanks for the suggestions, its stripped at the manifold, not the head btw, and the manifolds off, so does the other end of the pipe just go to an exhaust pipe, manifold, or actually the head? Cause if its just out in the open easy to take off the head or what ever then i can try that way. is the screw driver idea ok? like do i start in a good thread and just carfully follow the thread and follow it reshaping the threads sorta deal

I respect others' suggestions to chase the threads, but if it's not too far in there, I wouldn't bother, as the threads are so coarse that they'll self-correct if you can get it to line up straight.

wait, if the manifold's off the car, then yeah, inspect the threads... and maybe just get a new manifold if they're chewed up.

Go to the junkyard and get another couple of EGR pipes. On One Chop the pipe so the threaded end can fall off.

Put grooves into the threads to create a tap. Place your 17MM socket onto the EGR threaded end and run it into the hole and out a couple times to clean the threads.

Install the 2nd pipe you got at the junkyard onto the engine. A little PTFE teflon in a tube (plumbing section of hardware/home improvement store) will help keep it from leaking.

Alright! I got it, My dad used the dremel and sanded down the bad threads, and kept the good ones, and the thing went in and threaded right up and seated. But the knock sensor wires broke off, LOL one thing after another, but they might have been causing some major problems with driving, only like 1-2 strands of wire were holding them on at the base, and they finally broke, so im gonna put new wiring for it. Thanks for the help everyone!