Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Removing LSD from the diff carrier...

They weigh a bit with the carrier, just the limited slip part not too bad. I shipped a couple just the internals, and it was only 8-9$. The only specific part needed as mentioned above is the e-10 torx socket. I have a deep one, I don't know if a short one works, and it wa kinda spendy from snapon tools.

Hm.. I'd ask a driveline shop, I have no idea why Subaru went out of their way to put a torx in there. Maybe the head's a lower profile than a standard bolt or something... but it sounds worthwhile. good luck ;)

Now, when replacing the torx bolt back into the carrier, would it be possible to use something OTHER than the torx socket, so as to make it easier for the replacement in the future? So maybe using a different bolt instead of the torx one?

I've used an 8mm deep, 6 point, its worked great for me in the past,

I used the same, 1/4" drive. I had to kick down on the ratchet to break the taper bolt free, and it didn't strip. (Had a friend hold the diff while I kicked the ratchet)

I so rarely take those bolts out, it doesn't seem worth it to buy the right socket.

Hm.. I'd ask a driveline shop, I have no idea why Subaru went out of their way to put a torx in there. Maybe the head's a lower profile than a standard bolt or something... but it sounds worthwhile. good luck ;)

Probably the same reason other auto makers invent new and odd fasteners, to keep the backyard guys form working on it! But why only the rear diff? Wait a minute, the rear diff wasn't made by subaru was it?