Ultimate Subaru Message Board

just bought a 95 legacy l awd a/t wagon , runs great , no torque bind, axles good, etc... , is there a rubber cap that can be taken off to inspect the timing belt, i looked but could not find anything ,if i remember the belt needs to be changed every 90,000- 100,000mi right ?

You can remove the two plactic outer covers without much work, and then you can bump the engine to see the part of the belt that is behind the center cover.

just bought a 95 legacy l awd a/t wagon , runs great , no torque bind, axles good, etc... , is there a rubber cap that can be taken off to inspect the timing belt, i looked but could not find anything ,if i remember the belt needs to be changed every 90,000- 100,000mi right ?

thanks, is there light around the fan switch on the dash ? all controls work and the green lights come on , seems to me there should be ?

Well the fan switch is indirectly lit. It steals some light off the other bulbs. You may have a bulb out (or not). Its not the best illumination ive seen. Do a search on climate control lights and it wil tell you how.

merry christmas

nipper

That timing belt interval is probably 60k miles. The cal spec belt (kevlar aramid) might have been 105k miles. That's a 2.2L right? That should be the non-interference so if the belt breaks no damage, just stranded. You should be able to take off the LH (driver) outer belt cover easily for inspection. To remove the RH timing outer cover you have to get the crank pulley off first.

Yes, in the climate control center it is backlit. However the bulbs blowing out is very very common. There are threads on how to fix it and even put in LED's instead of incandescent for longer life.

Re: Timing Belt--I just ordered one from Jason at Mike Scarff Subaru in Auburn, WA (866-528-5282). Mention USMB and you'll get the best online price available. He mentioned that the Cali and Fed spec belts were the same but had different part numbers. I wonder if they're just using the same belt for both applications now?

Re: Climate Control Lights--check the "FAQ Stickies" at the top of the thread listing page. It's the first thing there. Lots of info. Not that difficult to do and well worth the effort.

Good luck.