Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacing the clutch fan with a Flex-a-lite low profile 12" radiator fan

Marck

Has anyone (with a 2 row radiator) tried fitting the Flex-a-lite low profile 12" electric fan (FLX-120) or something similar where the mechanical fan used to be? I measured and have found that I have about 2 1/4 to 2 5/8 (depending on where you measure) of room between the pulleys and the radiator. Its going to be a tight fit. I figured I may have to shorten the waterpump studs a bit and maybe replace the acorn nut on the powersteering pump with something more lower profile.

I know it is an expensive fan, but it offers the lowest profile without sacrificing cfm. I want to know if anyone has tried fitting this fan or one similar in size (15 x 13.5 x 2.625). I am looking to save me the hassle of ordering the fan and then having to return it cause it won't fit. If somebody on the message board has already tried I rather not waste time and money to repeat something that someone has already found to be fruitless.

And don't tell me to get an EA81 fan cause there are no EA81s in the salvage yards around here. I can barely find EA82s and plus I don't want a 25+ year old fan that is going to give out.

I don't think you even need a fan there unless you have AC and get stuck in traffic. If I'm wrong....someone correct me!

Correct - the mechnical fan is there to cool the AC compressor at slow speeds. It doesn't really do much for cooling the engine. But I think he wants to use that space for added cooling ability.

Post in the wanted forum for the EA81 AC fan, and then put in new brushes and grease the bearings. Should be fine for a very long time. They are rugged. Cheaper than a flexalite, and no mods required.

You can't shorten the water pump shaft - that would change the orientation of the belt pulley. There's not much room to be gained there - even less with a proper two row radiator. The EA81 AC fan is like 1" thick, and is the perfect fan for the job. Find one and rebuild it.

GD

Correct - the mechnical fan is there to cool the AC compressor at slow speeds. It doesn't really do much for cooling the engine. But I think he wants to use that space for added cooling ability.

Post in the wanted forum for the EA81 AC fan, and then put in new brushes and grease the bearings. Should be fine for a very long time. They are rugged. Cheaper than a flexalite, and no mods required.

You can't shorten the water pump shaft - that would change the orientation of the belt pulley. There's not much room to be gained there - even less with a proper two row radiator. The EA81 AC fan is like 1" thick, and is the perfect fan for the job. Find one and rebuild it.

GD

I plan on keeping my A/C. I am talking about shortening the waterpump studs, not the shaft. With the mechanical fan removed, the studs do not need to be as long. I can't believe the EA81 fan is so thin. I didn't know. Why is the narrowest aftermarket fan 2 1/4 inches and yet subaru was able to make one only 1" thick? Roughly how much cfm does the EA81 fan pump out? Maybe I will put some more effort into finding an EA81 fan.

I had to do some slight mods while installing my 2row in my 93 Loyale wgn and one of those was to cut about a 1/4" off of the water pump studs. I found that it was the only way to re-install the clutch fan without damaging the radiator. I also had to trim out a 1" vertical section on the radiator core next to the passenger side headlight to accommadate the larger radiator tank.

Just one man`s opinion, but I would either go back with the clutch fan or your suggested flex fan if you see summer time conditions and traffic that I have to deal with. I use my A/C and found that stepping up to a 2row gave me the extra cooling that I desperately needed for my section of the woods, where I sometimes see unhealthy 95+ :slobber: with 90+ humidity:mad:

Before I had the 2row, I can remember seeing my temp gauge hitting the 3/4 to 7/8`s mark in creepy crawler traffic. Now the highest it goes is to maybe the 1/2 mark...:headbang:

Couldn't tell you the CFM, but it's got a full shroud around it, and some pretty big blades. It's larger than 12" in diameter anyway. Just a sec - I'll get a photo for ya.

Ok - can't get the photo right now. I'm using my Linux box, and it's a mess....

I was wrong - the EA81 fan is 1.75" thick at the brackets/motor houseing. But the blade area is about 1.25" thick. Still a lot thinner than anything you can buy - I've also looked for something as thin/thinner with no luck.

It's about 14" in diameter, so that helps with the CFM I'm sure.

GD