Ultimate Subaru Message Board

We recently traveled in blizzard and icey conditions from our home in Ogden, Utah to Cedar City Utah. This was my first trip in these kinds of conditions since purchasing our Subaru.

We passed many vehicles which had spun or slid off the highway and wreckers were a common sight. We had no slippage spinning or hydroplaning at all.

The last 50 miles were in whiteout conditions at night. the Forester was still totally stable. We spent the night at a hotel resting for our second leg of the journey.

The next morning we awoke to 16 inches of snow on top of the Forester. We climbed the slick slope from the hotel to the road with no spinning while other fwd and 4wd drive vehicles were having trouble on the slope.

Our next leg was to be a 40 mile drive on hiway 56 to Beryl Utah. The snowplows had been out earlier in the morning but by the time we were on the road the conditions were slick and snowpacked with hills and curves to traverse.

The trip to Beryl was made with no problems. Our return trip home later that day was also "uneventful" My wife and I are now a firm believer in Subaru all wheel drive technology ! :brow:

We recently traveled in blizzard and icey conditions from our home in Ogden, Utah to Cedar City Utah. This was my first trip in these kinds of conditions since purchasing our Subaru.

We passed many vehicles which had spun or slid off the highway and wreckers were a common sight. We had no slippage spinning or hydroplaning at all.

The last 50 miles were in whiteout conditions at night. the Forester was still totally stable. We spent the night at a hotel resting for our second leg of the journey.

The next morning we awoke to 16 inches of snow on top of the Forester. We climbed the slick slope from the hotel to the road with no spinning while other fwd and 4wd drive vehicles were having trouble on the slope.

Our next leg was to be a 40 mile drive on hiway 56 to Beryl Utah. The snowplows had been out earlier in the morning but by the time we were on the road the conditions were slick and snowpacked with hills and curves to traverse.

The trip to Beryl was made with no problems. Our return trip home later that day was also "uneventful" My wife and I are now a firm believer in Subaru all wheel drive technology ! :brow:

great to hear the trip was safe, and no issues in snow, thats the beauty of Symetrical All Wheel Drive:cool:

I have had the same exact results with my '99. Last winter I even tried to get stuck going through some really deep stuff, but no luck, it went right up over it!

I am actaully looking forward to the first snow here, that is, when the car runs again.

yes please do tell...what tires are on that vehicle?

Reply to setright and exdeadhead about tires; The tires that came with the car and are still on it with 17,000 miles are Yokohama Geolander 6000. I drove very carfully and took no chances. The turbo was not needed and not used for this trip. I failed to mention that we did have some excitment, We observed a flock of wild turkeys, a bald eagle, and a flock of birds that I have not yet identified.

My XT has these fitted:

http://www.yokohama.com.au/ourtyres/tyre.aspx?tyreid=187

They are good for squealing a lot on corners taken with even a smidgen of "verve".

They provide little grip in wet or snowy conditions. In either weather type OH!versteer is the name of the game. On snow the braking is dangerously lacking.

Haven't tried them in mud.

Of course, I've fitted winter specific tyres for duty during this part of the year.