Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 T-Coupe rally car.....

chef_tim

What about cutting the strut top mount off an impreza and weld it to the tops of the coupe's? Maybe add some extra material to keep them from deforming under extreme use? I wouldn't trust myself to do it yet, but I plan to and although it sounds like a big mod, it will allow the use of newer, aftermarket parts in an otherwise useless suspension design. I also plan on installing modified control arms using Phizinza's method: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=69643 Or the BattleVersion mod at the bottom of the same thread.

This would provide many brake, wheelbearing, steering and suspension part options from XT6 to STi.

The rear suspension is adequet, but adding a rear anti-roll bar would be a welcome modification. An Ea82 bar needs minor tweaking and some custom mounts to fit our cars. I plan to re-clock the trailing arms to lower the rear end as well, though stock would be much better for a rally machine. Throw on some rear discs and 200SX rear calipers or go with bolt on XT6 brake parts to start a five lug swap.

I think that with some work on the intake and exhaust systems on the EA81T, you can have a decent engine. After that, a larger turbo and new valvetrain parts to take advantage of the higher rpm power the new turbo would provide. Megasquirt 'n' Spark for engine control and maybe see if higher comp pistons can survive on a better constructed engine.

Other than that; a cage, welded up sun roof (Like so many turbos had) and some decent seats and harnesses and you'd have a sweet little gravel blaster.

Johnnyboy, do you have any high res photos of your car? I love gen 2 hardtops and a gen 1 RX is the sweetest of 'em all!!

• 4 weeks later...
I love my RX, twin carbs rock!

These Gen 1 RX's were only available in NZ for a very short period it seems (around 6 months or so) before they went to the newer EA82 shape in 84.

A famous New Zealand rally driver by the name of "Possum Bourne" used to race one for the Subaru team back in 83 and did pretty well in NZ and Australia rallies...

this the kiddy your on about?

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/show_image.pl?bg=FFFF00&image=http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/2271000-2271999/2271064_88_full.jpg

i remembered that it was in the brosure :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Tim, any progress on the coupe lately? Also, has anyone actually put the FT4WD tranny in an EA81 yet? I'd like to get to that soon, but I've never read anything about putting that specific tranny in a gen 2.

Ask ShawnW. He has an RX transmission in his EJ22 turbo wagon.

Jerry, an 84 T-Coupe? SWEET. I must see this sometime. My 84 T-Wagon is coming along quite nicely.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...