Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pass smog and improve mileage

Ok I changed outr the PCV and the coolant temp sensor as well as the coolest temp sending unit underneath the temp sensor.

I plugged in the black connectors and got 2 error code readings

1 ) Bad coolant temp sensor

2) Bad cam angle sensor

anyways after I changed the coolant sensor 2 things happened.

1) check engine light is solid on now with no codes.

2) even in the cold morning if u turn the car on and drive 1 block maybe about 1/4 mile or less the car is already fully heated up. like within 1 min of starting the car.

Also tonight I took apart the IAC unit and noticed when I disconnected the PCV valve all the tubed are gunked up with gunk. Not like where air can't get through but nice cake build up on sides of tubing.

I also looked at the injector rings to see if they were leaking but I didn't see anything wrong with them.

Gas mileage is still crap any clues???

PLEASE DEAR GOD PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

If the CEL is on, there is an active code. Plug in only the green connectors and see what you get.

This may be silly, but can you verify that it is not the fuel level sensor? On my 95' Brighton it crapped out after about a year and was always reading low by about 2 -3 gallons. Check how much fuel you are putting in and compare to mileage driven. If the float in the tank is leaking and sinking lower - it will give you lower reading on the fuel gauge. Also, make sure timing is correct. Have you changed t-belt recently?