Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i'm pretty good with the old school soobs but i need a dd and my six is quickley becoming a trailer queen i'm thinking of buying a gen 1 legacy i don't have one in mind yet but i'm wondering what are some common problems to look for and avoid etc. also curiouse as to what i should expect for gass milage out of one

I'd say that torquebind is by far the most common issue. Do a search on "torquebind"; you'll find exactly what you need to figure out if the car has it.

Another semi-common issue is wheel bearings...not too big of an issue, just an annoyance.

Otherwise, they're pretty much bulletproof.

And look for like 18-25 mpg with AWD depending on your driving habits.

thanks,

i did a sampleing of threads just to run it by you, it seems that torquebind happens mostly in autotragics, right?

correct, the auto's are all electronic, with a clutch, that either wears, or melts together, while the manual uses a viscous center diff i beleive its called which seems to be the most reliable. However, the auto seems to have a better AWD, guess because its less reliable:lol: But still VERY reliable, as long as you have 4 tires, with equal pressure, and change tranny fluid regularly, you should never have a problem with the autotragics, and torque bind, but still possible if drivesolenoid failure, and or worn clutch, from wear and tear.

Don't seem to find any issues with the wheel bearings,mine lasted pretty long if you ask me, the front ones went, at around 255,000KM, then 1 rear one went, and one original is still going at 289,000KM.

I did have torque bind, but ill bet if i did the tranny flush a LONG time ago, the clutches wouldn;t have melted, and given me torque bind(possibly my worn tires caused this issue).

Engines, solid, dont need to go over that. Might have minor oil leaks, nothing major though.

Overall these car's are very great, and safety wise(impact wise as well) they are great.

The only thing i can think of with these cars that they need, is a Strut bar, however mine might have crack noises, because i have a wagon, so a sedan might not need stiffening, im not saying the car is a piece of nylon, its very solid, just when you get out of another vehicle in to this one, doesn;t seem AS solid, but overall they handle like a lotus, if you ask me(with a few mods of course :P)

Hope that gives u a idea of what you getting into with older legacy's, good luck with your choice.