Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Outback Automatic-changing transmission oil?

Hello,

I recently brought my 99 Subaru Outback Wagon, automatic transmission, 103,000 miles...to a new mechanic known for being thorough (and by the book when it comes to pricing and labor hours estimates). I wasn't necessarily thrilled with their work (I had them replace my starter after replacing the battery and testing the alternator when the car kept having trouble starting...it would click or half start the first few turns of the ignition and then start up). Based on USMB advice i sought out a different independent mechanic to have some preventitive care done (changed out timing belt, cam seals, belts) and was thrilled. (Thanks USMB)

The question is that I recently received a reminder letter from the first mechanic with a short list of their recommended services, in this list they have "TRANS OIL:DARK-SERVICE REQUIRED." Now the car is still on its original transmission, and I have been faithful with oil changes and other maintenance, but this is the first time I heard about transmission oil. I typically take my car to a local firestone to have the oil changed and they have never recommended this service, nor did the second mechanic who services the timing belt.

Is this type of service expensive? Is it better to just change out the transmission all together? Does any know the ballpark price for this kind of work?

I drove this car at least 3000 miles since having it serviced at the first mechanic, up into the mountains and back here in Denver, and have not noticed any sluggishness or anything with the way it changes gears. However it gets me thinking that with this kind of driving, caring for the transmission, if needed is pretty important too.

Thanks, and happy new year.

yes i would have the tranny fluid changed , your tranny will like it , i do it myself since no shops around will do it , i drain and fill ,not sure of the charge in your area ,around here on fwd cars ,they charge around 80 bucks . alot less than a new tranny , in my opinion

I'd change the fluid. You won't necessarily notice any difference in operation. However, the fluid shears, oxidizes, gets dirty since there is just a screen 'filter' on the phase I, etc. You may also preempt any torque bind that may be developing.

Note that just removing the drain plug removes only about half the fluid since it doesn't drain the torque converter. There are a couple ways to get the rest out.

The cost depends on where you have it done and what fluid you have put in (i.e. synthetic or dino).

flip through your owners manual. it will likely say replace your trans fluid every 60,000 miles or 30,000 under severe duty (rough, dirty roads or towing). yes, replace it and read through your owners manual. if you have any questions, ask here.

replacing the transmission fluid should'nt cost more than $100. and definitley do it. i didn't see in your thread if it's a FWD or AWD...if it's AWD you would be very very wise to change it, but you should change it either way.

your transmission also has a front differential, not a bad idea to change that, use synthetic gear oil for that - it only takes a couple dollars worth of gear oil for that, much cheaper than the ATF flush.

You can drain and refill the automatic transmission, or have it flushed. I do the drain and fill routine every 15K to 20K miles- it's simple on my '99 Outback, just like changing the engine oil. Subaru puts drain plugs on the tranny, making it simple. You refill through the transmission dipstick tube.

Although the tranny holds 9.8 quarts of ATF, only 3.5 to 4 quarts will come out if you just drain the pan. If you drain, fill, drive for a week, repeat two more times, you will have replaced most of the old ATF with new. After that, just drain and fill every 15K miles, and you'll be good for a long time.

The '99 Outback has the spin-on external filter that is supposed to last the life of the car. I don't believe that, so I changed mine at 100K miles.

I agree 100% with those above, definately get it changed! I do mine every 25K,

because I think heavy city driving qualifies as severe duty.

These transmissions are very expensive and to me changing the fluid is cheep insurance. I do my own and its easy. It also less expensive, since I do it twice in a row to get it completely changed out.

BTW many auto parts stores will accept your used tranny fluid.

My 99 ran perfectly, but the drain was black like liquid coal at about 100,000 miles. It took three of the four quart drain and refills before the drain oil started to look remotely red after a days driving. I used everyday generic dexron the first couple refills, and then name brand dino oil the last couple. The drain plug is the same wrench size as the engine drain plug and I was able to do the drain without lifting the car off the ground. Takes about 15 min after the first time. I would get a new drain plug gasket for the last time at least. (same part as engine drain plug gasket) The fill tube is sort of hidden under the power brake booster, and I had to put a small funnel down in it, and then a larger plastic funnel above that drained into the first funnel. Measure the drain oil and replace a like amount, always about 4 quarts on level ground.

Perhaps a point of interest -- Based on the full capacity of the 4EAT and typical drainage from the pan by just removing the plug (with the car level), I roughly calculated the percentage of old ATF replaced with new by multiple drain/fills. The following is in the form #-of-changes -- %-fresh-ATF:

1 -- 40%

2 -- 64%

3 -- 78%

4 -- 87%

5 -- 92%

Naturally, the advantage continues to diminish as the number of changes increases. It seems obvious that if the original fluid isn't too bad, a few changes in succession might easily be sufficient. However, if the fluid hasn't been changed in 100k miles, it's probably prudent to just have a shop do a complete flush with new fluid.

The '99 came with a Phase2 4EAT, using the external spin-on filter.