Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Door lock problem (not alarm/remote related)

so new years eve, i stumble to my car (exagerated) key would not go in the drivers door lock. i have my girlfriend open passenger door with her key. i assumed my lock was more frozen than hers..........

yesterday try it again, my key would not open either door, upon inspection, my key's teeth were duller(sp) than hers, so i tried hers. still no luck. the key goes in about 4/5 of the way and it feels as if the cylinder is bent in the door somehow. has this happened to anybody else? i was planning on getting a remote start/keyless entry/ alarm in the near future anyhow, but if there's an easy fix for the time being it'd be nice to lock my car up w/out having to open from the passenger everytime

I had that happen to me once, turned out the cylinders were damaged by someone trying to break into the car. Physically inspect your cylinders. Try the key in the trunk/hatch lock and see if it works there. CLosely inspect the key to make sure its flat. You can have the dealer make a fresh key and see if that works.

nipper

It could be that one of the 'pins' in the cylinder is stuck.

First thing, I would try some WD-40 in the lock. Then insert the key and keep wiggling it gently. This might free-up the stuck pin.

i'm thinking you're on the right track, worked fine today, must be sticking when it's cold, was rather warm here today and it worked just fine.

i'm thinking you're on the right track, worked fine today, must be sticking when it's cold, was rather warm here today and it worked just fine.

you want to use a liquid graphite, not wd40. it's graphite suspended in a very thin oil / lubricant, the lubricant eveporates and leaves the graphite to work. much better!!!!!!!!!

comes in a small bottle, couple of ounces, with a neat little nipple, just insert and squeeze a LITTLE. once you get it, do all of your locks, car house boat etc. you probably won't be able to find it the next time you need it so you just buy more. i have 2, one's empty, i know where that one is, the hafl full one , i can't remember.

this is almost impossible to do but, DO NOT use too much, it will leak out of the lock and dribble down your door. have paper towels ready. recheck in 1, 3, 5, and 10 minutes.