Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Wagon CD Changer

Where have people mounted CD changers in their EA81 Wagons? I was thinking under the rear seat, but I don't think there's enough space.

I was also thinking on the floor in the rear, but I'm not sure where the fuel tank starts and ends... Don't want to drill into the fuel tank accidentally :lol:

Don't want to drill into the fuel tank accidentally :lol:

That wouldn't be a :lol: ... that'd be more like :banghead:

If it's a changer, keep in mind you don't need to get to it very often ... andyou want to put it in a place where you can't see it from outside very easily. I have seen them mounted on the support rails of the ceiling - have to deal with hiding wiring, tho. Kinda like a TV console for the back-seat.

Where have people mounted CD changers in their EA81 Wagons? I was thinking under the rear seat, but I don't think there's enough space.

I was also thinking on the floor in the rear, but I'm not sure where the fuel tank starts and ends... Don't want to drill into the fuel tank accidentally :lol:

There is no space under the rear seat at all..its just a piece of foam sitting directly on the floor. If i were to wire in a CD changer i would wire it under the drivers seat or passenger seat. Or if you have a cargo cover then maybe mount it to the plastic that is covering your rear wheel wells. I think it would be too much of a pain to wire it into the roof.

I put mine in my glovebox. I had to cut the inside liner out and made it mount nice and snug. If you ever sell the car you can get a new liner at the junkyard for a couple bucks and swap it in with 4 screws.

Then its lockable, hidden and pretty easy to return to stock along with easy to run the wires to the headunit.