Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2001 Legacy L auto trans question

I just picked up a 2001 legacy L wagon and it hesitates a bit when I move the shifter into drive.

I searched and read the threads on changing the fluid...drive a bit, then change fluid and filter.

ok that being said The car has 95k on it and I know nothing about its history (just got it). I supose that the worst case scenerio is that its never been changed. The fluid smells a little burnt and doesn't look nice and red like it should (looks kinda brown).

Another thing I've noticed is that I feel it doesnt down shift correctly. I have to let off a bit to initiate the shift. Arg, I was reluctant to get an AT subie to begin with, but I deal with too much traffic.

How can I tell if this tranny is beyond repair? I was planning on getting 60k miles out of this car and if the tranny is burn then I'll probably dump it while its got value. Is there any way to really tell?

Thanks in advance

i'd at least change the fluid and replace the filter (screw on filter for your model). doesn't cost much and has probably never been done. people often neglect ATF changes...they'll change their engine oil too often and completely neglect everything else! i can't promise anything but fresh ATF can make a big difference.

are you sure the hesitation is transmission related? could be plugs and/or wires as well, it's possible they are original as well. be sure to use Subaru only wires and NGK plugs, the EJ25 is a sensitive engine.