Ultimate Subaru Message Board

stupid speedo cable

yeah i have had trouble fixing my speedo cable...(EA81) i know where to plug it into the back of the cluster.....its just the whole getting my hand up there(which fits) and unscrewing the little thing in the back of the cluster(on there F**king tight) are there any helpful hints on getting thet thing to unscrew? yes i have tried fitting the pliers up there and there isnt enough room.:dead:

The speedometer cable is designed just like the one in my Loyale. The cable housing doesn't screw into the dash...it just plugs into it so you should be able to just give it a good yank and it'll come out. I replaced my cable when I did my heater core since I had the dash appart. My speedometer still doesn't work right, but at least it isn't the cable.

post-13450-136027620019_thumb.jpg

nvexplorer, are you certain they're of the same design?

The HTKYSA book says:

The cable connects to the back of the speedometer by a threaded plastic ring which loosens counterclockwise by hand to let you pull the end of the cable out of the speedometer. Use pliers if the ring is real tight. When the ring is loose, just pull the cable free from the back of the speedometer.

This could be a mistake in the HTKYSA book though. Doubt it, but it could be.

crazy D: Look at your new speedo cable. If there's a threaded ring, I'd think it'd be there on the new one.

ok.....yeah im certain its the speedo cable cuz when i unsrewed the other end(tranny) the cable just pulled all the way threw the casing....so it wasnt ever plugged in on the other end

The cable will slide in and out of the casing. On the dash side the cable just fits into a square hole to make the parts turn. The casing keeps it lined up and in place. If you took the cable out and its not damaged or stretched too far then you can probably lube it and put it back in. I'm not sure which type of lube should be used, but somebody around here must.

Partsamerica.com (the actual store said they couldn't order them but I got a new one anyway from their online store) can order them and the cables do have different numbers for a different set of years. The 03295 works for the 85-89 DL, GL, GL-10, 90-94 Loyale, 88 RX, and 86-87 Std. For before 85 there are two different ones, one for automatic one for manual. The manual cable is part# 03244 fits 81-84 Brat, 86-87 Brat, 80-84 DL, GL and Std, 80-82 GLF and apparently also the 84 VW Jetta.

It might be that they got away from that retaining collar because it was a pain and the push on type works just fine. I'll check out my 83 hatch when I get a chance.

They just pull out. I've replaced many of them, and removed many, many clusters. 80 and up are just push-on.

The difference in part numbers has to do with the length of the cable, as the early top mount starter cables had the drive in a different spot.

This simply aint rocket science here - yank the cluster out and you'll be able to get to it a lot easier.

GD

well i think i know the problem.....the nut tightens the cable down into the tranny is stripping so i cant tighten it down enough for the rectangle end to fit into the hole.......does anybody have the whole entire casing with both ends that plug into tranny/cluster they can sell?

As I tell some of my spanish speaking customers...

La Hencia o Los Junkes.

FYI the housing end that threads into the tranny doesnt get super tight. usually you can thread it in by hand, and when it gets tight, give it a quick tug of the 17mm wrench. If you feel things start to "flex or distort" or just feel "spongy" then your golden, as it doesnt take much effort to get it there.

Make sure that the inner cable is closely lined up with the shaft in the transmission, I recall being able to feel it engage before I get it to thread in more than a turn.

-Mike