Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 97 Legacy right hand drive with either a dead transmission or a bad differential. How can I find out what year parts will work with this car?

Thanks......

my first stop would be www.car-part.com. but i don't know how much luck you'll have since there aren't many RHD cars around. but they have great interchange software.

second i'd check on the id tag under the hood , driver side, strut tower. that will give you your trans model number.

but before you buy, you need to know what is causing the problem. what is the problem? how did irt occur? how many miles?

third, it is very difficult to know which differential you actually have. but an exact match on the trans model# will work.

your years are 95 to 98 (maybe early 99, the phase 2 4eat came out in 99.)

these are the rules:

1. get the exact same trans model # as you have now. model # something like TZ102ZABAA ( i think this is a 96 leg A/T 2.2L wagon.)

OR

2. get the same model and the closest match year as you can, AND get the TCU as well.( the TCU is insurance against a change betwen years.)

OR

3. get any trans close to your model or year AND get BOTH the TCU & rear diff. ( the rear diff is in case the diff gear ratio is different.)

generally the same models will have the same diff, but the trans may change slightly betwen years. on the outback side 97 & 98 group together, and on the legacy side 95 & 96 group together. i don't know about 97-98 legacy.

lastly, post a want ad in the wanted section of the market place here.

holler if you need help.

john