Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'93 Impreza heater core dilemma

Have a tale of woe regarding heater core for '93 Impreza. It definately is shot. I researched and found best bet is from a dealer,so far. I ordered the heater core, but then got a reply that included the following.

------------------

PT071001- HEATER CORE

Post Date

01/16/2001 12:00:00 AM

Source

LSNYJSHA

Part Number(s)

72130FA000 HEATER CORE

Attachments

PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT PART NUMBER 72130FA000 HAS SUPERSEDED TO 72130FA001.

WHEN 72130FA001 IS BEING USED IN A REPAIR OF A 1993-96 IMPREZA OR A 95-96 LEGACY MODEL, IT WILL BE NECESSARY TO USE THE FOLLOWING AS A SET:

IMPREZA, 72130FA001 AND 72120FA001.

LEGACY, 72130FA001 AND 72120AC021.

------------------------------------

Part number 72130FA001 is the heater core. Part number 72120FA001 is a new box or case for the core. It is $160.

Now:

1 Does anyone know if the new one is smaller or larger than the origonal? (7.5" X 6" X 1")

2 Has anyone replaced these by stuffing/modifying the origonal box?

Main concern is just getting heat into the bloody car.(brrrr). My niece has a 60 mile oneway daily commute with no heat.

Any ideas? Or anyone have a good core for origonal box in the Wa. state area?

Thanks, Jon

Seems like there was a post about this not very long ago. My guess is this change was done to reduce the number of spare parts that Subaru needs to stock. Maybe you could get at least the air box from a salvage yard?

I didn't want to get in trouble, so I searched lots of past posts and didn't find anything. :) Hoping one of you on the higher plane might have run into this situation. I am still researching!

Jon