Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hmmm headgasket.....

Well crap, i guess what everyones been saying is true (im so hard headed, ahha) Well the car when u drive it, runs great, you stop, turn it off, and walk away for prolly 10 minutes, come back, and it belches out a hideious white cloud of coolant smelling smoke. Its loosing aout a pint of coolant every 4-5 days. Intake gaskets are brand new, and the bolts are all tight. WHen its warm, it has a miss at idle, like a "puh puh puh ....pt put put..ptpt puh puh like a disruption in the exhaust and the car will like, shake when it does the miss, but when ice cold it runs smooth as ever. Im thinking cracked heads more than a headgasket, because it doesnt overheat, doesnt have bubbles in the system, no coolant in oil, or vise versa. No external leaks besides the thermostat houising very slowly seeping out coolant. I pulled a spark plug, and it had white ************ on it and it smelled abit like coolant. but it was hard to tell. Hmm i dunno if i could "try" to sell this car before it gets worse (if cracks in the head can get worse if the car stays cool) The only way this could have happend is when my cars radiator was plugged up and it ran 3/4 of thegauge while driving, and one time up a hill it got right before red and i turned around and went back down the the temp went back to 3/4. My friend commented on being able to smell coolant when following me. Man i got some bad subaru luck, lol.

I was gonna just drive it till march, im gonna drive my Pontiac, and id have all spring and summer to work on this car if needed, but it has some knarly dents and some decent body rust, nothing frame related tho.

Did you use OEM or aftermarket intake gaskets? My guess is intake gaskets, new of not. Next on the list is HG. Both of these could leak coolant into the cylinder once the cooling system pressurizes from getting warm.

The usual head cracking would be directly into exhaust port and should not give much of a difference in running.

Yah.. No offense intended, BUT when you said the intake gaskets were brand new my thoughts were "Well, that just means that they haven't really proved themselves yet..." From what I hear this is a dealer only item?? unsure of that though.

Check compression, even though good comp numbers do not rule out a HG..

as for losing coolant.. thermostat slowly seeping out coolant?? a PINT every 4-5 days???? do the math, that (probably) adds up right there.. a pint really isnt all that much, you know. Chances are you eliminate more than that every time you go to the bathroom.

I agree that the usual spots the heads crack puts coolant into the exhaust port and not into the cylinder, allthough my first subaru(86 3 door EA82) had such a deep crack that it dumped coolant into the cylinder and the exhaust port. Just the port first, which it ran that way for months, but then I ran it as hot as the guage would show for about 40 minutes on the interstate in summer!! Then it was toast. Long story.

It's worth the time to re-do the intake gaskets, since you have coolant on the spark plug. I have had good results with Felpro, so far.

Brand new Dealer intake gaskets. Im guessing the spark plug had the stuff on it from when the gaskets were leaking. But im pretty sure the heads are cracked or somthing, because theres wetness around where the exhaust meets the head on the passenger side. But the car does run odd, it probably has some air leaks, can you order complete vacuum hose kits for these cars from the dealer, same with that STUPID intake hose from the airbox to the turbo, it broke, and i got one from the j/y and it cracked as i put it on (it was Warm too, i put it on a head vent for a few hours before i brought it out to put on. So i might have air leaks too. But its definyl got coolant coming out the tail pipe, may not be alot, but some. The running condition and coolant lost decreased ALOT when i did the intake gaskets, so im confident they sealed ok. Im actually kinda looking forward to pulling the heads this spring, it might be fun, i hope i can get this car to run tip top this coming winter. Also the thermostat housing is leaking like 2-3 drops a day i would guess, from one small spot, its so slow you cant visually see it leak, just the residue/liquid left.

I use a wire wheel chucked into a drill.

As for torque - 12 to 14 is fine. But the key is to wire wheel the bolts, and chase the threads in the block till the bolts run in real smooth. Otherwise your torque's won't be accurate.

If these steps aren't taken carefully, the gaskets will leak sooner or later. It's just a sensitive mating surface that is often overlooked.

GD

alright, well it wasnt perfect, and some of the bolts i couldnt get the gunk out of the threads, so im gonna order brand new bolts and new gaskets, also probably get a different intake manifold. I may have to have this wait till march or somthing, its WAY to cold, for now its running ok and not leaking tons of coolant. im not sure if my Torque wrench goes that low or not, it sa craftsmen, and it goes to 20 ftlbs but it keeps going quite a bit after the 20 mark, so mabye it does go to 14-16 or so. Also what kind of thread chaser would i want to use, im gonna guess like 10 mm or somthing? I also antisiezed all the bolts, so they can come out easy

is it overly arrogant of me to presume that I can hit 12-14 ft-lbs of torque by my own estimation, by hand with a wrnehc or ratchet??

I mean, I like to think I can, and any time I have checked my jobs I was pretty much dead-on.. and obviously major things like wheel bearings, engine assembly etc. CERTAINLY need to be done with a torque wrench.. I often bypass them because I know the difference between 35 and 50 ft-lbs, between 20 and 16 and 12.... and I can know when I hit my lug nuts pretty well, too. (although I somehow doubt I'm the only one who does THAT by ear..)

:Flame: ON! hehee, I have been waiting to use that one :grin:

oh god, my gaskets just had a serious failure when i left work, i started it to go and it was POURING out white smoke, ohh man, and i drove and the large clouds wouldnt stop, or even slow, and i went to my friends, stopped, and smelled coolant, and now i went and came home and it left large clouds of lingering smoke. Uhg looks like im not gonna be waiting till spring....************ its like almost 0 outside.