Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Power Drain 88 XT6??

Taking Rocky up the street to have the floor welded..As I was driving I notice the Volt meter dropping...from 14 down to about 7 by the time I got to Dougs..This car has a new Alt in it and as of Friday it has a new battery. Whats wierd is ..when I would just let it run in my driveway the volts never dropped but when it was actually being driven thats when this all happened.( should I mention that I had no lights on..nothing was on )

What would be causing this bizzare occurance? Any clues?

did it get warm at all?

I'd check the damn crank pulley :-\

see my bazillions of posts on xt6.net about this.

best bet if it split is to have it welded while the floors are being done. a little "tack tack" here and a little "tack tack" there and these pulleys will still go a long ways as several of mine have proven

There is continuity to contend with when metal is missing.. its a mysterious subject, every car has a focus. If nothing obvious, after welding missing rotted stuff, then attack the electrical. And don't forget paint before tackling (again if it all seems to be there and problems persist). petrified steel can ship a car out to junk if an electrical expert can't figure out problems similar to yours. I have seen old trucks (the heavier the build, more likely) to even put aluminum for these reasons. Subes do the same sometimes depending on paint etc. Hopefully yours is simple. The obvious rot fixed is a good step one for fixing electrical anomolies.paint paint paint with the good stuff. :)

There is continuity to contend with when metal is missing.. its a mysterious subject, every car has a focus. If nothing obvious, after welding missing rotted stuff, then attack the electrical. And don't forget paint before tackling (again if it all seems to be there and problems persist). petrified steel can ship a car out to junk if an electrical expert can't figure out problems similar to yours. I have seen old trucks (the heavier the build, more likely) to even put aluminum for these reasons. Subes do the same sometimes depending on paint etc. Hopefully yours is simple. The obvious rot fixed is a good step one for fixing electrical anomolies.paint paint paint with the good stuff. :)

what?

her rusty floor has nothing to do with a charging system issue... neither does paint. :cool:

I can't even see how you would come to this conclusion other than something about grounds, which .. last I remember, nothing related to the charging system in an xt6 grounds to the floorboards.

sorry to be harsh, but I've been having fever hallucinations for a week and still can't come to the same conclusion as you, bgd73

what?

her rusty floor has nothing to do with a charging system issue... neither does paint. :cool:

I can't even see how you would come to this conclusion other than something about grounds, which .. last I remember, nothing related to the charging system in an xt6 grounds to the floorboards.

sorry to be harsh, but I've been having fever hallucinations for a week and still can't come to the same conclusion as you, bgd73

Then maybe you don't know the right dealers:banana: .

I think he's saying about loosing grounds (which is the first thing I'd do). Why do you have a new alt and where did it come from? I'm wondering if it has a bad regulator in it.

I think he's saying about loosing grounds (which is the first thing I'd do). Why do you have a new alt and where did it come from? I'm wondering if it has a bad regulator in it.

Ben..it came with a new Alt..so I have to get to the car to pull the reciept for where it came from..it was somewhere out in Wyoming if I am thinking right.And right now the car is at the welders.I called Rory and Doug ( the guys working on it) and they are going to look into the grounds and the pulley and whatever else. I got them loaded up with work right now..between the XT6 and both the dirt bikes ( mine had a bent frame and is getting the carb rebuilt and Tommys needed some welding and stuff)

maybe I still have a fever and shouldn't be at work. I don't really understand most of this either. :-\

have only had one xt6 alternator go bad. have replaced a few. most were due to split crank pulley. why loosen the grounds? what does my dealer have to do with it? :D

maybe I still have a fever and shouldn't be at work. I don't really understand most of this either. :-\

have only had one xt6 alternator go bad. have replaced a few. most were due to split crank pulley. why loosen the grounds? what does my dealer have to do with it? :D

I dont understand 75% of my XT6 yet it doesnt seem to make sence like my Loyale does..so any info is good for me..its all a starting point...I just need to get Rocky on the road so Bucky can get pulled off.:banghead:

And yes..you shouldn't be at work if you are still sick:brow:

I dont understand 75% of my XT6 yet it doesnt seem to make sence like my Loyale does..so any info is good for me..its all a starting point...I just need to get Rocky on the road so Bucky can get pulled off.:banghead:

And yes..you shouldn't be at work if you are still sick:brow:

well I called in yesterday and got yelled at for it..

so here I am today trying to figure out why you are being told to paint your car and loosen your grounds to fix a charging problem! :eek:

if I could find someone to cover for me, now would be one of the times I would go home

• 3 months later...

Hello all. I just bought a 88 XT6 about two days ago and today when I got home from school I tried to start it up and it wouldint. I noticed that the volt meter is drained a little bit, but I cant think of what is causing the battery drain. any ideas?

Hello all. I just bought a 88 XT6 about two days ago and today when I got home from school I tried to start it up and it wouldint. I noticed that the volt meter is drained a little bit, but I cant think of what is causing the battery drain. any ideas?

You revived an old thread :) ...Let me tell you from experience...check the white plug that goes into the alt...they like to crumble apart..super easy fix and easy to replace...also...ALSO:lol: listen to what we all tell you about the crank pulley seperating...I didnt at first...needless to say I toasted the alt then had ti come completely apart and had to have the car towed...This seperating crank pulley is also an easy fix...get it welded..and you will never have problems again...also remember..the fan belt tensioner is...Lefty tighty righty loosey..and it can be a pain to get the belt on tight enough..;)

Well I checked it again and the volt meter read that it was completely drained.. So I jumped it and let it run for a little bit. I parked it in the driveway and let it run a little bit more. I checked the battery and it was reading about 12.36 volts. So i'm gonna let it sit and see what happens tomorrow.

heh thanks for the tips. not only is this my first subaru but it's also my first car. I want to take good care of her. =]