Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just bought an 84 Turbo BRAT

My thoughts at this time are to swap the 5spd D/R for now, because this engine still runs like a top. If and when I go crazy with suspension and chassis mods, I would follow it up with a major power upgrade. The custom fabrication does not bother me. It's half the fun.

I am not yet fully familiar with all of the possible swaps and upgrades, and I am open to any suggestions.

the d/r 5sp is a good choice, pretty decent gear ratios, and it will make a night and day difference in the acceleration and driving enjoyment of the brat, especially considering you would be coming from a 3sp auto, as long as you source a trans with the 3.90 gear ratio you won't have to swap rear ends, you can find out easily by lookinh at the id tag on the rear end, to my knowledge all the n/a ea82 cars have the 3.90, you'll just need the trans, driveshaft, pedal assyembly, clutch cable, flywheel and clutch

from what i've read you will be able to use your stock axles, as the non turbo ea82 uses the 23 spline axles same as all ea81's

the trans mounts a little different however, check in the usrm, or just search around, it will all go together pretty easily compared to a motor swap as some have done,

if you decide to do this keep us posted with pics and stuff,

also, unless you just feel the need to make the ultimate sleeper and swap in a turboed ej motor stick with the ea81t, there aren't many left, and considering the brat weighs just over the 2200 lb mark you could do some upgrades to it and have a very respectable push rod motor

Sorry, buy I've done the swap and you DO need to grab a 3.900 diff. The stock auto has a ratio of 3.700. Stock axles are fine, EA82 2pc driveshaft or a lengthened EA81 piece. PM Bratsrus1 and ask him about his 5 speed conversion kit.

sorry i was thinking about my brat, didn't realize the turbo brats were 3.70 as well, he could use a turbo ea82 trans and keep the stock rear end then

I would be happy to swap the rear diff for a 3.9. Every little bit of low gearing will help. I would like to run 28-30" tires eventually. I have to do some calculations, but I may need to use low range most of the time if high range is too tall.

Is it possible to shift between low and high range on the fly? That would make a great combination of gear choices.

I would be happy to swap the rear diff for a 3.9. Every little bit of low gearing will help. I would like to run 28-30" tires eventually. I have to do some calculations, but I may need to use low range most of the time if high range is too tall.

Its the carb'd cars that have trouble turning bigger rubber. Our turbo cars have about 30lb/ft more torque then they do, which helps. Prob wont need low range unless you're actually offroad.

Is it possible to shift between low and high range on the fly? That would make a great combination of gear choices.

Yes.

Its the carb'd cars that have trouble turning bigger rubber. Our turbo cars have about 30lb/ft more torque then they do, which helps. Prob wont need low range unless you're actually offroad.

Yes.

ever read the owner's manual for a d/r?

from page 52 of my 86 Brat/ hatchback owners manual

"Do not shift into the 4WD Lo range without first depressing the clutch pedal and reducing vehicle speed to 30 klm/h (20 MPH) or below"

not exactly shift on the fly, the 4wd high is what i would consider shift on the fly as you can pull it up at pretty much any point in time you need it, 4WD Lo requires lower speeds because of its low gearing, there is a neason there is a nuetral area in between the two, don't just rip it up in there at any time or you'll be sorry

ever read the owner's manual for a d/r?

from page 52 of my 86 Brat/ hatchback owners manual

"Do not shift into the 4WD Lo range without first depressing the clutch pedal and reducing vehicle speed to 30 klm/h (20 MPH) or below"

not exactly shift on the fly, the 4wd high is what i would consider shift on the fly as you can pull it up at pretty much any point in time you need it, 4WD Lo requires lower speeds because of its low gearing, there is a neason there is a nuetral area in between the two, don't just rip it up in there at any time or you'll be sorry

Been there, done that (At greater than 30mph). No problems to report so far on a 4 speed or a 5 speed...

Congrats on your TURBO. I have seen only on in the area and it belongs to the Subaru Mechanic.

I am on Redondo Beach. If you need parts let me know. I am in the process of doing some major retrofitting to my BRAT so I have a bunch of parts left over.

BTW I plan to do a get together in about three weeks or so to celebrate the BRAT moving off on it's own. Probably turn it into an install meet /BBQ.

If you are going to run 29-30's I can help you with the lift blocks.

Will PM you w/my number.

BW

Been there, done that (At greater than 30mph). No problems to report so far on a 4 speed or a 5 speed...

just because it hasn't done anything yet doesn't mean that its an ok idea, plus if he's getting a scrap yard tranny nobody knows what it's already been thru, its just a safety precausion, its always better safe than sorry in my book