Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Recommendations for Half Shafts??

I've had nothing but bad luck with reman'd ones. not just on my lifted wagons. my mom's FWD legacy went through 3 NAPA ones in a year.

I've had awesome luck with junkyard ones though. and they're a fraction of the cost. just have to find some, and pull 'em.

Well..now both of Buckys axles are bad ( blew one today)..can not afford Subaru ones..need a decent remanufactured set..what are you guys opinions?

Sorry not in a great mood right now.

NAPA have been very good to me.

My $2000 Mac burnt up this morning, want to trade issues?

Dont really have the time to run to a PAP and do this...since there really arent any close by...and to the newbie who blew your $2000 Mac...you dont even have the slightest idea...I have 2 POS cars..one I have been trying to get off the road for months to do some major front end work but didnt have anything else to drive and the second i got to get on the road quick but that isnt happening and it is now over my head finacially..no car no job no way to pay bills no house.

I've heard that GCKs are a highly acclaimed axle. I just did both mine, but unfortunately, GCK is out of the non-turbo axles ... so unless you have a supplier that has a stash, you'll be out of luck for awihle - I ended up going with MW Enterprises ones from Colorado - I paid $10 each for them, new. I was pretty happy with their quality - time will tell how well they perform - so far, so good.

I just bought two new GCK axles today, and got a smokin' deal. Part number SB8002. I hope these fit my 84 Turbo BRAT. Are Turbo and non-turbo axles different?

All EA81's use the same axle - and this thread is NOT about EA81's, so that part number is useless to her.

GCK's for the EA82's are apparently out of stock, so go with the MWE's. Since they are both using all new quality components I wouldn't imagine there would be a lot of difference. The GCK's are generally cheaper, but as they aren't availible at the moment....

GD

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList.aspx?MfrCode=GCK&PartType=945&PTSet=A&SearchFor=Drive+Shaft+%2f+Axle

GCK axles, part #sb-8003, auto trans. 23 spline.

the website claims in stock.

Availability says ships in 1 day.. its advance auto parts, the people who bought a whole bunch of other people iincluding kragen (right? not local to me but i thought I saw the name on the homepage) and discount auto parts...

I don't know if thats true or not, but thats what it says.

If you have an autozone I'd get some there. They give a lifetime warranty and I have used the warranty to replace some that went bad. Not a result of the reman process, but my abuse to the axle. They never gave me a hard time, just new axles. You can even order them online from them.

I'm not sure of the part number for the non-turbo though.

what do you mean by "blow an axle"? if it's just the boot, ignore it. i've put 50,000 miles on a broken boot, clicking axle. the original soob axles are tough, i drive them all the time for many miles broken. they're more reliable than new ones you buy at the store. the absolutely only functional reasons to replace them are to avoid grease splatter and if your state has annoying inspection requirements. other than that, if finances are an issue there's no reason to replace them.

now if it actually blew to pieces, then my guess it was replaced with a store bought axle, it's not that uncommon for new ones to explode, i've had it happen before and others have as well. the 20 year old original soob axles never fail...well they do, but ignoring the off-road guys it's very rare.

I HAVE had one snap on the highway before
me too, it's always "new" ones that do it. in the 15 or so soobs i've owned and others i've worked on in the past decade, a subaru cracked boot CV axle is more reliable than a generic store bought. been there done that, never again. all mine from here on out stay cracked or get MWE replacements.

Dunno bout what everyone else says about napa axles. I've had great luck with them. They are the only axles I buy (front anyways) What reman'd axles come down to is you need to look at what you are buying. Check the splines, check the threads and make sure you check the boots for cracks. I've seen axles that had boots with cracks in them right out of the box.

As for rear axles, i pull them off parts cars at the shop. I've NEVER replaced a rear axle on a customers car.. For some reason only my lifted wagon is the only one up here that shreds axles.

me too, it's always "new" ones that do it. in the 15 or so soobs i've owned and others i've worked on in the past decade, a subaru cracked boot CV axle is more reliable than a generic store bought. been there done that, never again. all mine from here on out stay cracked or get MWE replacements.

GCK's are brand new - so in theory are better than MWE's. I've got 4 of them, and never had any problems since I switched - you can ask anyone: I'm HARD on axles. Neither has anyone else that's run them that I know of. At any rate, I will not touch ANY remaned axle. MWE maybe - but GCK's are cheaper, and I'll take new over reman any day even if the claim is that all parts are new.

GD

Dunno bout what everyone else says about napa axles. I've had great luck with them. They are the only axles I buy (front anyways) What reman'd axles come down to is you need to look at what you are buying. Check the splines, check the threads and make sure you check the boots for cracks. I've seen axles that had boots with cracks in them right out of the box.

As for rear axles, i pull them off parts cars at the shop. I've NEVER replaced a rear axle on a customers car.. For some reason only my lifted wagon is the only one up here that shreds axles.

NAPA reman'd axle, about 24 hours from picking it up from the store:

3242PICT0659.JPG

3242PICT0662.JPG

splines looked great, boots were fine. it exploded. I replace it with a junkyard subaru axle that day, and it's lasted a year and a half, and is still running strong.

bucky...why don't you just reboot the ones you have? what's wrong with them. we do understand your situation, and we really are just trying to save you some time, money, and a headache or 2. I wish I had looked around a little closer before shrugging and saying "huh, well, they've got one in stock, I'll just do that". instead, I stopped in at napa after the crawl 4 the cure, with my core axle, and the 'new' one, which looked worse than the core (and the core had been run for about 3 weeks with no boot on it...)

remans are definitely fair to regard with skepticism... however, I have to wonder how many (front) axle failures are due more to sloppy/toasted transmission mounts rather than subpar axle quality.. if the trans mounts are old then the transmission will rock laterally more and the stress will push and pull on the axles.. no brand of axles could survive long on a trans with blown out mounts.. if your car has around 150k miles or (probably) more, changing your transmission mounts is a must, especially if you want to lift your car (raising the center of gravity exerts more leverage on all suspension parts).