Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone else go cross country with an EA81T?

This summer, our band fraternity is having a national convention in Orlando, FL. We were talking at our last meeting about what car would be reliable to make it. None of us have new cars (the newest being a 96 Cavalier which isn't reliable at all), and since there's three of us that want to go, car is by far cheaper than plane.

So here's my question: Who has taken an EA81T across country, and what kind of gas mileage could be expected?

I'm hoping to have the MAF wiring fixed as well as a 4spd D/R in my wagon before this hits. The car will be traveling 1,851 mi (about 1 day 4 hours) one way according to Google.

Biggest concern here is overheating and gas mileage.

overheating is all about the condition of the cars cooling system your wagon will, will be fine, how far off is the trip, which month?

if i had a choice i would take the autotragic rather thatn a fresh swapped vehical, because the autotragic is in good shape and has proven itself, i'd drive there with it vrs a freshly swapped 5spd that hasn't proven itself

overheating is all about the condition of the cars cooling system your wagon will, will be fine, how far off is the trip, which month?

if i had a choice i would take the autotragic rather thatn a fresh swapped vehical, because the autotragic is in good shape and has proven itself, i'd drive there with it vrs a freshly swapped 5spd that hasn't proven itself

1800 miles one way (so 3600 round trip), and its in July.

I hope to have the money and the parts to do the manual swap by spring break in March, so I have plenty of time to do it. (You know, some kids party during spring break. Me, I'll be installing a tranny :grin:) So I'm sure it will have proven itself reliable anyways.

through stupid irony i still have ricks tranny jack, call me when your ready i want to see how this is done

Thanks for leaving that for me BTW:dead:

Mike... you know you want that wagon to be D/R FT4WD:banana: or if you go 4 speed D/R I have that too with a starter even...(I think) and a flywheel(I have a few...) I think you need to come buy some of my pre-pulled yard parts at reasonable prices:)

This summer, our band fraternity is having a national convention in Orlando, FL. We were talking at our last meeting about what car would be reliable to make it. None of us have new cars (the newest being a 96 Cavalier which isn't reliable at all), and since there's three of us that want to go, car is by far cheaper than plane.

So here's my question: Who has taken an EA81T across country, and what kind of gas mileage could be expected?

I'm hoping to have the MAF wiring fixed as well as a 4spd D/R in my wagon before this hits. The car will be traveling 1,851 mi (about 1 day 4 hours) one way according to Google.

Biggest concern here is overheating and gas mileage.

Driving cross-county isn't that hard duty on a car. I'd say that I do more damage to my car each week than I did driving it out to wyoming. Other than halfshaft issues, and other issues I knew about before I left, the car did great. Check stuff like wheel bearings, cv boots, and brake's before you leave.

Hey I took my old T-coupe back to South Dakota twice approx 700miles one way and loaded to the gills. First time no issues except for when kid crashed it in the city second time we ran into some hesitation issues after the 550 mark. Mileage ran at about the 22 mpg the whole way on an auto, the D/R may give you a little but the load (3 adults plus gear) will most likely put you around 18 if I had to guess. Find a slim electric fan if the car has only 1 and take off the clutch fan and just wire the slim on constant with the ignition. I had that set up after the kid crashed it first time, never overheated at all, and we ran in the dead heat of July last time.

Hey I took my old T-coupe back to South Dakota twice approx 700miles one way and loaded to the gills. First time no issues except for when kid crashed it in the city second time we ran into some hesitation issues after the 550 mark. Mileage ran at about the 22 mpg the whole way on an auto, the D/R may give you a little but the load (3 adults plus gear) will most likely put you around 18 if I had to guess. Find a slim electric fan if the car has only 1 and take off the clutch fan and just wire the slim on constant with the ignition. I had that set up after the kid crashed it first time, never overheated at all, and we ran in the dead heat of July last time.

YOU WOULD HAVE TO SEE IT BUT I WOULD KILL FOR THE ELECTRIC FANSETUP ON MIKES WAGON

sry i didn't mean to yell

YOU WOULD HAVE TO SEE IT BUT I WOULD KILL FOR THE ELECTRIC FANSETUP ON MIKES WAGON

sry i didn't mean to yell

I like it when you yell about my car. :grin:

The fan setup is killer. Makes it a PITA though to remove belts. I had to take out the radiator mounting bolts and pull it up so I could get the belt between the water pump pulley and the fan motor...

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=986&g2_serialNumber=2

Those are two huge fans btw. They do an effective job I might add.

If I do only get 20mpg, we may have to rethink taking the wagon. Especially when my buddy's Taurus (as boring as it is) gets 30mpg highway... Hopefully a 4spd D/R or a 5spd will help. We'll see.

If I do only get 20mpg, we may have to rethink taking the wagon. Especially when my buddy's Taurus (as boring as it is) gets 30mpg highway... Hopefully a 4spd D/R or a 5spd will help. We'll see.

While my maroon '84 wagon isn't turbo it is an auto and I could never get better than 18mpg on the highway with two people with me, it gets even worse if there are any hills in the picture.

Take the Taurus, your back seat passengers will thank you. Rear seats in EA81 wagons aren't the best for trips unless you have kids back there.

I would get a new radiator if i were you, highway driving made my Subaru with a clogged radiator heat up fast and run really hot! In town it usually stayed cool. if it has a newer radiator i wouldnt worry then

Don't worry, I constantly preach the use of new radiators. That's imo, the most overlooked part of our cooling systems. Lucky me, the radiator in this car is brand new.

Dunno about taking a Taurus. Last Taurus we took as a group across the state line had a water pump seize and take out the engine half way between Ogalala, NE and Denver, CO.

Especially when my buddy's Taurus (as boring as it is) gets 30mpg highway...

No way... He's lying... its a FORD... FORD... FORD!!!!

The window sticker probably says 23 city 27 hwy, but thats a lie too... Taurus's get wretched MPG... 80's ones were worse... like barely 20's...

Hell I just looked it up and learned something... they finally killed that bloody car for one and for 2,

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/16409.shtml

government says 23 MPG tested mix driving 29 hwy... thats close I guess... but this only applies if its one of the last tauri... either way that huge car will be more comfy... might want to take it.

Not to hijack, but I had a '91 Taurus SHO 5 speed that for years I drove like Batman. Fast as hell. On trips to Reno and Vegas, I always got 25-27 mpg, which included frequent spurts into three digits, with total comfort and reliability. While the typical Taurus isn't a SHO, it's still a nice car.

My '83 Turbo Brat with auto trans gets 17-18 mpg @70. I drive 74 miles per day commute and she just purrs :) . This EA81T is reliable as heck and the temp gauge stays at center all day... I think taller tires would help MPG immensely, or driving at 55 mph (argh). but alas I am selling her next week too:(

Not to hijack, but I had a '91 Taurus SHO 5 speed that for years I drove like Batman. Fast as hell. On trips to Reno and Vegas, I always got 25-27 mpg, which included frequent spurts into three digits, with total comfort and reliability. While the typical Taurus isn't a SHO, it's still a nice car.

I think taller tires would help MPG immensely, or driving at 55 mph (argh). but alas I am selling her next week too:(

The most shameful defeat I ever suffered in my Zcar (im no street racer but off a line, empty 2-lane highway, 1AM, everyone does it SOMEtimes.. right?? :rolleyes:) was to a fivespeed taurus SHO about that vintage.

THAT being said, the older taurus auto trannies went out like light bulbs. I have a friend who got her grandma's for a graduation present, and she and her family drove it up to NC for summer vacation.. My mom owned one at the time, and we had already put the new trans out of our neighbor's old one into hers. (They blew one, too) SO, I warn her dad (big ford guy, but otherwise cool as a cucumber) that the trannies aren't the greatest.. somewhere north of brunswick on I-95, their trans took a dump. Ever since then, Gary has believed anything I say about cars, period.

Using taller tires is an EXCELLENT idea....... a set of used tires (or cheap new ones) may well be worth the investment.. any chances you have a spare set of wheels laying about to mount them on??? because you could probably depart pretty radically from the size you would want to use ordinarily and not have too much issue... Speed, not acceleration, is your friend on a trip like that...

having new hoses and clamps or at least checking them is very helpful for driving without issues. after 20 years clamps are iffy. throw extra parts somewhere, alternator, coil, fusible links, water pump, necessary tools....

Not to hijack, but I had a '91 Taurus SHO 5 speed that for
before an SHO is road-trip worthy it needs to have the cam gears welded in place, the one that wobbles loose. this is a very common SHO problem, check google for more. and it causes massive damage when it comes loose.

An intercooler might be beneficial if you're open to modding the car in that fashion. I will also vote for a 5-speed swap. Turning the engine at lower revs would be better for it in an endurance-type scenario, and the gas mileage improvement will even pay for a good chunk of the swap.