Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA flywheel drilled to EJ pattern??

Definitely DO NOT try to put new holes in between the old holes, you'll be weakening the flywheel too much.

The "egg shape" IS what you want to go for. Just do it carefully and accurately so that there is no play once you bolt the flywheel up. It's not going to happen with a drill bit, though. You'll have to use a dremel or die grinder to enlarge the holes to the new pattern.

This is a tried and true method at this point, starting with Subarino at least two years ago. To date, no one has come back to the board with any stories of sheared bolts, and plenty of swappers beat their rigs very hard.

What do people think about using the EJ flywheel and clutch (seems the splines are the same as the EA82 5sp's) and then doing custom work to the starter motor. I figured it you space the EJ starter motor about 12mm out and flip the gear about, new spring and clip to hold the gear on, after cutting the back of the gear off you would have maybe a ok working setup? I was going to try this, but it looks like I will be using a EJ trans now.

yeah, what are the issues with that?

What do people think about using the EJ flywheel and clutch (seems the splines are the same as the EA82 5sp's) and then doing custom work to the starter motor. I figured it you space the EJ starter motor about 12mm out and flip the gear about, new spring and clip to hold the gear on, after cutting the back of the gear off you would have maybe a ok working setup? I was going to try this, but it looks like I will be using a EJ trans now.

The centerline of the starter is further away form the centerline of the crankshaft on the EJ22's. Since the starter mounts in a cast hole in the transmission, the flywheel size has to match the transmission. I don't see how you could offset the starter in the transmission so that it would fit the radius of the EJ22 flywheel. I'll go play with my pile of dead trannys (sounds kinda nasty-serial killerish) and see what I can see, but I'm pretty shure it wont work.

I done it.. well I didn't get it to the point of working because I decided to use a EJ trans. But... Heres the problems I could see that would not work. The teeth on the starters gear don't have the right shaping to blend into the flywheel because you are using the side you cut off. Plus you can't see where the starters gear is to figure out where the new hole in the adaptor will go to hole the starter in the right place so it doesn't blow up anything important. Lets say I'm 90% sure it would work. It's just the gear shaping, which is easy to re-make if you have a dremel tool I guess.

As for making the gear fit on the starter backwards, that was a lot of fun... I mad up a custom spring that was the right legth. Used a circlip that had most of the bits around the two holes cut off. And in the process I got the starter solinoid smoking :( Anyway, lots of messing around, but it is possible like all other things.

I am more for the adapting the starter idea. There has to be a way to make something work. I dont like the idea of drilling the flywheel either. (Main reason why I havent put a ej25 in my car) I got some burn't trannys at the shop and flywheels and all that, I think I'm going to look at it and see if there is a way to make it work. perhaps using an impreza starter (different shape and length)

I am more for the adapting the starter idea. There has to be a way to make something work. I dont like the idea of drilling the flywheel either. (Main reason why I havent put a ej25 in my car) I got some burn't trannys at the shop and flywheels and all that, I think I'm going to look at it and see if there is a way to make it work. perhaps using an impreza starter (different shape and length)

if you got a idea I have a machine shop

• Like 1

If you drill the flywheel, I'd advise not dremeling it, but instead machineing it. We machined my flywheel, the holes are ovalish, but you get maximum hole-bolt contact area. If you just grind till it fits, you're losing a fair bit of contact area. That said, the bolts job is to clamp the flywheel to the crank boss. The friction between the crank boss and the flywheel is where the power is transfered. The pilot bearing hole is the same size between both flywheels, and it is that hole that centers the flywheel.

The main disadvantage is the suck-rump roast pressure plates. I beat the snot out of my drivetrain, and the flywheel has held up fine. It's the transmission back that blows.

• 2 weeks later...