Ultimate Subaru Message Board

value of a soob?

I have been thinking ....

I thought of this with my other 87 (DL) when it was only 10.

Now I have one that is 20. and dual range. and a crazy modern thing called "power steering". :grin:

When I bought my other 87, it was from a dealer. "These models are the winners." I knew what he meant. The carb version. The mislabeled taller and tougher suspension. The LSD that is all of them, yet "never had it".The true stories of a little engine that could.My 4wd high mode easily climbed a vertical pit wall. All the talk of real short gears in 4wd was not even a thought- In fact taller tires were the big "must have" and that was about it.

I am contemplating a purchase of another car of any make and model so I can park my wagon.

Am I over valuing an old soob?

I have seen them all, heard them all, at a minumim sat behind the wheel and throttled it. The carb oem is the winner. I want to hide it. To put some more facts into it. 85-87 was the carbed version ea82? Where did that suspension come from? I can tell a carb soob withoput popping the hood and by the full oem exhaust. I have declared them special- anyone agree? :rolleyes:

Sometimes sentimental Value is way more than actual money value...To me ...my Loyale Bucky is priceless..I couldnt put a dollar amount on it. To many others its just a 92 Loyale wagon FMD..nothing special. IMO and ONLY my Opinion..I hate carbs..when they are tuned in right they are great..but the only vehicles I have had major issues with were my carbs..I dont even mess with my dirt bikes carb...I send it out.

i dunno... if you live in an area with idiotic drivers, then you could buy an old beater soob and park the "nice" one just for occasional driving. or maybe not even a beater soob... i noticed when I drive my mom's '96 camry or my sis's '97 civic... it makes driving the soob feel SOOOO much better. but if i can afford the insurance, i'm gonna buy a beater and keep the rust free wag in the garage.

not much for sentimental value.

Factually:

• there is not <1.8 liters on 3 main bearings doing what it does now or then like a soob does with it.
  • how it does what it does for the longevity it does it
  • the simplicity in which it does
  • power to weight ratio is darn near mythical by any standard.
  • econimically priceless
  • treat it like a bigger 4wd, because it can
  • The carb versions oem are the tightest cam full stroking ea82s oem ever made. Carbs being out for over half a century has got me baffled at the confusion by young folks and ladies of the simplest repairable gadget ever made. The stoich curve was mastered by hitachi, I prove it all the time in all weather. The spfi was great, except for the delayed sloppy cams I have only learned to be because the ecu wasn't fast enough to run a "full" engine (anybody remember the constant hesitating and blaming one gadget at a time?)

I have thought of other vehicles in similar setups proportianately. The "little" soob is still the winner. I am going to check on a few junkers just so I can park this. I attempted the same with my 87 dl and strangely went through 3 autos to 1 soob still sitting there, ending up my daily driver once again (I killed it because of it). I do not want to annhilate another old soob. :confused: I want to treat it like a classic car owner would, by forgetting I even have an old soob going about my business.Heck , I even declared my 2wd 5spd a forever classic, for facts that simply cannot be denied. I killed that too and almost feel bad for the work I did extra.

If by mythical you mean 'terrible to the point that a Kia has a better P/W ratio' then you would be correct.

Mythical meaning it does not have enough power to break the wheels loose on slick ice -- so it moves instead of just spinning wheels.... I love it when the streets are so icy that everyone else with way more horsepower can't move because their wheels are spinning, and I can almost floor the subaru in 4wd and not spin. Of course, they could learn to give their V8 less gas, and buy better tires, but most never do.....

find a 1781 cc with the paranoia put into that tiny air intake and compare power on any inline four equivelant. I have had several in that range as inlines with intakes opened enough to really be an annoying sound- and not even worth the 8k+ rpms it gives without the torque like the little boxer can. If that wasn't noticably incredible right away for an ea82 owner, car enthusiasts are at many levels. I would tend to lose you in conversation and true opinion.

As far as crazy power.... I had n/a's leaving a few folks scratching thier heads- it was so unlikely for an old soob with the stereotyped little engine to do what it did. Burning rubber gets boring, power sliding is fun. A wagon can do it around 100hp on a throatier intake. That is all I could ask for.I don't want a hot rod, I want the job to get done. A friend taught me this a long time ago on his ea81. I could not believe what that car did for power, until I saw it out loud. Not even a turbo and the original carb. Simple porting and I believe he had access to cam. To humor the whole thing he put full duels. Very fun. He used to take it mudding with bigger trucks. Funny as heck to hear what that car did sometimes.I know an ea82 has more options, but it is up to the owner more than manufactured parts like ram engines has for an ea81 (aviation).

If my soob makes it to 25 years without a rebuild still ready to drive across the continent., maybe even back to where it came from just for a joy ride 3900 miles from here- will the most stubborn of you big powered railroaded victims paying too much understand what that engine is when facts are dealt with? As a mechainc, and fellow mechaincs, knowing darn well what power is to the point of getting bored with it, the ea81/82 is a legend, when the "everydays" of driving are figured once and awhile realizong what is taken for granted, and life is longer than an ej with 4oo manic hp. :)

Priceless. I wanted to buy an "old car" to putter back and forth to work and go to old car meets/cruises etc.. I was going to buy a Jeepster, cute as heck they are. Then I came across the '78 BRAT and remembered a time looooooong ago the joy and fun I had with that trucklet. Self, I said, buy it, so I did. And another and another, then the Baja. Out of the 4, I drive the '86 daily, I LOVE that BRAT!

I have to say, I belonged to an old car club and drove my "old car" to a meeting in a blizzard... everyone else's old car was at home. Attendance was rather thin that night :)

I bought them to DRIVE and they still snags trophies! Between the 2, we got 5 awards this past season!

To me they are best!

I dunno about u guys but my car breaks them loose into second if your really on it (Turbo helps i guess). with my Summer tires or winter. My old Mazda had a 1.6 $ cyl, and it did way better on gas than this, it only redlined at like 5500 and i constantly hit that mark every day and i got damn near 30 mpg full city driving. But my subarus way faster, lol, ALOT more torque down low for sure. I like these cars, especially having 4 studded snow tires and 4wd on in a big ice/snow storm and everyones spinning and sliding, and im not even spinning a tire from a stop or sliding around corners, these cars are fairly amazing. Im loving mine more, just wish the heater worked better.....

find a 1781 cc with the paranoia put into that tiny air intake and compare power on any inline four equivelant. I have had several in that range as inlines with intakes opened enough to really be an annoying sound- and not even worth the 8k+ rpms it gives without the torque like the little boxer can. If that wasn't noticably incredible right away for an ea82 owner, car enthusiasts are at many levels. I would tend to lose you in conversation and true opinion.

As far as crazy power.... I had n/a's leaving a few folks scratching thier heads- it was so unlikely for an old soob with the stereotyped little engine to do what it did. Burning rubber gets boring, power sliding is fun. A wagon can do it around 100hp on a throatier intake. That is all I could ask for.I don't want a hot rod, I want the job to get done. A friend taught me this a long time ago on his ea81. I could not believe what that car did for power, until I saw it out loud. Not even a turbo and the original carb. Simple porting and I believe he had access to cam. To humor the whole thing he put full duels. Very fun. He used to take it mudding with bigger trucks. Funny as heck to hear what that car did sometimes.I know an ea82 has more options, but it is up to the owner more than manufactured parts like ram engines has for an ea81 (aviation).

If my soob makes it to 25 years without a rebuild still ready to drive across the continent., maybe even back to where it came from just for a joy ride 3900 miles from here- will the most stubborn of you big powered railroaded victims paying too much understand what that engine is when facts are dealt with? As a mechainc, and fellow mechaincs, knowing darn well what power is to the point of getting bored with it, the ea81/82 is a legend, when the "everydays" of driving are figured once and awhile realizong what is taken for granted, and life is longer than an ej with 4oo manic hp. :)

Crack kills...

Have you spoken in a manner that others can understand recently?

Or are you just ready for the institute?

if it was mythical, or even great, it would have at least enough power to smoke 2nd and probably 3rd.

I have smoked 'em in third! :grin: granted, the pavement was damp at the time, which made it much easier - but I have done it - in a two wheel drive wagon.:headbang:

I've got a 90 version of Bucky92's car. How can you not love a car that has given you 125,000 trouble-free miles for $1500? ...

have an 89 GL wagon (the one mentioned above) that i have put a little over 100K on myself (clock has 244K) - only paid $150.00 for it - to me that is priceless...hmm...

purchase car - $150

tires for car - $200

new battery - $50

100,000+ miles = Priceless!! :clap:

askth the Qman:

Have you spoken in a manner that others can understand recently?

answerith the grasshopper:

It percolates simply as....

his intellect is so far above ours,

it's likened to comparing the ant's travels to the distance his

starship commences as he pilots it to the Pleiades.