Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stupid Dumb Question of the Day

I am getting conflicting part numbers,etc for new axles...Are the EA82 5spds 23 spline or 25 spline?? Some books are just calling for 23 spline ( at Advance Auto) yet online I am seeing both.Can someone conferm before I order new ones? TIA... If this was too dumb of a question then just :Flame::grin:

I am getting conflicting part numbers,etc for new axles...Are the EA82 5spds 23 spline or 25 spline?? Some books are just calling for 23 spline ( at Advance Auto) yet online I am seeing both.Can someone conferm before I order new ones? TIA... If this was too dumb of a question then just :Flame::grin:

25 spline on 4wd turbo MT and 4spd auto's

23 spline on all 3spd autos and others.

You need a 23 spline axle. :)

and count the splines before installing it to make sure they gave you the right one...

I got an axle for my turbo, and it wouldn't go on... finally I counted the splines and found they had a 23-spline in a 25-spline box... grrr!

I've heard that if you need a 23 and get a 25 installed it will strip the splines off... so count first to be sure... I got lucky that mine was the other way around...

--Spiffy

Don't believe that the part number on the box is the right one for what's inside either. If possible, bring your old one with you. If you can't, get the best measurements you can, count the splines, make sure it comes with a new nut, cotter pin, and roll pin since you really should replace all of them with a new axle. Also check the threads on the axle, if they are all chewed up, dinged and dented your nut will not stay on! A good way to check is to thread the nut on then try to wiggle it. If it is not tight on the threads, do not use it. Check the boots, check the boot clamps. I've bought axles that had missing boot clamps!