Ultimate Subaru Message Board

WA offroad roof light law(s)

SOOBOUTLAW

Checked the Staters' website, didn't tell me anything (about roof lights...). I know I legally cannot operate them on a public roadway. But, I have been told I must cover them when I am operating my rig on a public highway. But, I passed a bunch of cops this morning, no hassle (first drive with the lights cuz the Brat's RWD for street, so I can braff the Wagon(eats CV's), but it snowed and I won't risk wrecking the Brat when the wagon, 4wd, rules the road in the snow, with new studded snow tires and more torque at the flywheel). OK, enough said, do I gotta cover 'em?(if yes, does a light layer of snow count?)(ps, search here didn't help any).

Checked the Staters' website, didn't tell me anything (about roof lights...). I know I legally cannot operate them on a public roadway. But, I have been told I must cover them when I am operating my rig on a public highway. But, I passed a bunch of cops this morning, no hassle (first drive with the lights cuz the Brat's RWD for street, so I can braff the Wagon(eats CV's), but it snowed and I won't risk wrecking the Brat when the wagon, 4wd, rules the road in the snow, with new studded snow tires and more torque at the flywheel). OK, enough said, do I gotta cover 'em?(if yes, does a light layer of snow count?)(ps, search here didn't help any).

I really dont know myself, i have heard that you have keep them covered before though.I've heard you are only allowed one set of auxillary lights.. But i have 4 sets, and have for last couple years and a cop hasnt said a word yet...

It's a great excuse to pull you over if you might be "sketchy", and it's also a great 2nd ticket to write if you get pulled over for something ticket-worthy by itself, so don't do anything to deserve getting pulled over and you'll likely be fine.

If you do get pulled over, it might be the case that you had installed covers but they may have recently been stolen. If the officer believes that you are telling him this honestly, he may decline to ticket you for it.

now if it was me i would cover them. whos to say that you werent using them on the road if they werent covered. im sure that cop would be more than happy to write you a ticket. i never drove with them uncovered so i dont know i would just cover them up and be safer than sorry.

All off-road lights must be covered when driving on the road. Street, hiway or forest service, doesn't matter. As to getting a ticket, you're all right. 99.9% of the time, they won't bother. But, if someone peed if the officers Wheaties, don't count on a friendly encounter. :Flame:

Only the rear is jacked up at the moment, center of the rear wheels are a bit below the bodyline, no mudflaps, but doubt that's why the local snooped. Might be the cracked windshield or severly cut front fenders(ghetto-redneck rust fix). But, State Patrol says I can roll studded tires between November and March, and I don't recall the studded tire ban passing. Maybe he never saw a modified Subaru like that.