Ultimate Subaru Message Board

CEL in BFE thins the wallet - now I want a code reader

On a Christmas trip to Billings, MT, our 03 TS decided to throw a check engine light. This was in a somewhat non-populated area and caused my wife to stress out despite my attempts to play it down as most likely a loose gas cap (although IIRC I did in fact tighten it and it had been 100 miles since the last fill-up).

Eventually we came to a smallish town that had a garage (this was a Saturday morning) and I asked if they could check it out. I assumed (whoops) the fee would be nominal since I've heard that AutoZone type stores will do this free of charge. We walked across the street, had a bite to eat, and then drove away $100 poorer, but with no CEL, and as expected, the code was probably from a loose gas cap.

I'd like to get a cheap, small reader so that in the event this happens again on a road trip, we can check out the CEL and clear it if necessary. Any reason something like one of these wouldn't do the trick for our 97 Outback and 03 TS?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=94168

http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP9125-PocketScan-Diagnostic-Post-1996/dp/B0007LEG2K/sr=8-5/qid=1168532687/ref=pd_bbs_sr_5/103-9804386-9519846?ie=UTF8&s=automotive

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated. While it would be cool to track more parameters (like with a laptop connected to the car) what I'm looking for is something very small that we can just carry with us on any road trips. We have a laptop but don't necessarily travel with it all the time.

Steve

Carl:

Thanks, that one looks great, a bit more than I'd like to spend though... what I'm wondering is if there's any reason the $50 ones posted will not work for our Subies. I did some searching before starting this thread (!) and I found one instance of the HF one being recommended, and also some mentions of another one (from ebay) that gave some erroneous codes and was throwing off the diagnosis of a problem. So I'm just loooking for any additional feedback to be more confident before purchasing something in the low price range.

Steve

Carl:

Thanks, that one looks great, a bit more than I'd like to spend though... what I'm wondering is if there's any reason the $50 ones posted will not work for our Subies. I did some searching before starting this thread (!) and I found one instance of the HF one being recommended, and also some mentions of another one (from ebay) that gave some erroneous codes and was throwing off the diagnosis of a problem. So I'm just loooking for any additional feedback to be more confident before purchasing something in the low price range.

Steve

I THINK any should work if it supports the ISO 9xxx protocol. There are actually 4 'types' of OBDII - I know, weird, but the ISO one is what Subes need.

there's an Innova one for, maybe $99 that I have borrowed from a friend. it's nice.

Carl

Any cheapo code reader that says it works on that model year should work. I'd guess the less expensive ones just display the code like 'P0420' or whatever. Either way it'd be best to pack a printout of the codes and their meanings in the glove box with the reader, especially for the P1/2nnn codes as those are manufacturer specific.

Right right, P0420, I see that all the time.

My code reader (Autozone, $79) looks just like the Harbor Freight unit linked above (not that THAT really means anything) and it works great to pull and reset codes on the 00 OBW. So something like that should work fine for what you want it to do.

I also have a cheep code reader in the glovebox of my OB. The wife has it at work but I'll post the model and brand tonight. It was less then $40 off ebay, nothing fancy but will pull codes on all OBD II and also has a small book that describes codes and will clear the codes. As for the P0420, I see it way to much also, time for some O2 senors.

Well if you're willing to spring the $160 or so, you could get a ScanGauge. They're really nice for leaving connected all the time a gauge for all kinds of parameters. Plus instant reading of MIL/CEL as soon as you notice it.

It does not give the description; just the code, so you'd need a list with you. Or in my case last month my cel/mil came on, pressed the 'scan' button, it read the infamous 'P0420' code, which I knew was catalyst efficiency below threshold since it's somewhat common, poof, press the 'clear' button and the cel/mil went off, this all within about 10 seconds of the light coming on, while driving.

If you want an inexpensive reader, harbor freight probably can't be beat for value, especially if you sign up on their web site and get the periodic 15% of any item in the retail store coupons combined with buying an item on sale. Many HF items look identical (and probably are!) to those sold in various retail stores for twice or more the price.

Thanks for all the info, I'm going to look into the HF one a little further, I really don't want to spend a lot of $$$ for this... saving that for other more important stuff, like new tires for the wife's care come spring. I'll check to make sure I can return it before buying though, just in case. If anyone else happens to find this thread and knows for sure that the HF one I posted (not the older creader) or other inexpensive readers will work for our cars, post up. Thanks.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Resurrecting this old thread as I picked up that Cen-Tech OBD II Code Reader yesterday from Harbor Freight. It is on sale right now for $39.99 and I used a 15% off coupon. Don't have a code to read at the moment on the Ru, but it links with the ECU to tell me "no codes" so it appears to work. I also used it to read and clear codes from my Dad's Dodge Caravan.