Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What is this sound? (listen inside)

Ok, I have this sound that happens after the car is sitting, and often when it's cold outside.

One person says it's lifters, one says it's a pulley.

One says i have a diesel engine.

I've posted here before, but now I have a .mov file with audio.

The first one, I let the car idle for 10min, then came outside and recorded. It was 23degrees, and about 7:30am FIRST .MOV file

The second one, is after I got in, and stepped on the gas. You can hear it's MUCH softer, but still there. So in the video I rev the engine a bit and you can hear it kinda go away. SECOND .MOV file

I have an oil leak that my mechanic friend is going to fix soon, and I'd like to have this and other things fixed while the engine is out.

Anyone have ideas about this sound? how dangerous is it?

thanks for the help.

Oh, it's a 2000 OBW with the whimpy 4cyl. 150K miles (compared to the 6 naturaly)

I would venture to say it's lifters....or possibly something related to low oil pressure.

I'd definitely remove the oil pump and check that the oil pump backing screws are in-tact, the pressure relief valve is working properly, and that the o-ring sealing the pump & block is good.

er um .....

The first one sounds like lifters. The second one almost sounds like a rod knock.

How to rule out the rod knock:

Pull one spark plug wire at a time and see if the noise changes pitch. If its a valve train noise it wont change pitch. If it does ..........

bad

nipper

Does the noise go away when it warms up ? If it does it could be the timing belt tensioner , there is a TSB on them for your model year for this condition,

If you rule that out it may be the dreaded piston slap

The valves are mechanical and can be adjusted

SEA#3

Thanks everyone for the help.

I think the timing belt tensioner is bad, but that's just because when I open the hood, it sounds like it's coming from the pulley. (what I think is the TBTensioner)

It does seem to go away when the rpms are higher, or after driving to work (25min) Even driving a couple of miles makes it a lot quieter.

I've put a bottle of Rislone in the oil three oil changes, because someone said it would help the lifters. But it didn't seem to help.

If I remember, I'll report what the mechanic says it ends up being.

Thanks again!

Holy poop that DOES sound like a diesel! If you've got an EJ25 then I'd just drive it like that and show it off: "Hey, check it out.... diesel Subaru" Swap in a 2.2 if it breaks

(sorry for the no help)

He he...

You know, I see "EJ25" and stuff, but I don't know what it means. I'm guessing the engine style. Which one would I have in a 2000 OBW? (4cyl) how do I know?

And if this engine dies, I'd rather put in a 6cyl... more umph. but I'm hoping it doesn't die.

EJ25 means 2.5 liter. I am not a "new" Subaru expert but I think there were 3? versions, the early 2.5 DOHC that was prone to headgasket failure and is widely considered junk, the later "Phase II" 2.5 SOHC that didn't have the HD problem, and the latest version (don't know when it came out) of the 2.5 which is DOHC and also doesn't have the HD problam. EJ22 is the DOHC 2.2 that everybody seems to love, the EA81 of the AWD generation.