Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I resently purchased a 2001 Subaru Forester (3 weeks ago). I am have just resently notice the back floors are quite wet and the driver side front floor is wet, I can not figure out where the "wet" is coming from, I have checked the door seals are not leaking and the drain holes in the doors are not blocked. Does anyone know what could be causing this? someone mentioned to me that possibley the line for the washer fluid to the back window may have split or cracked (???) I did notice it looks like whoever filled up the windshiled washer container (I am so car illiterate, sorry) seems to have filled it with just water or extreemly watered down windshield washer fluid and we did have some below zero nights. Anyway any help would be greatly apperciated I really do not know what to look for!!!

Thank you in advance :)

Is there a sunroof and did you notice this after a rain or has it been dry where you are? There are drain lines from up yonder that can clog or separate and the sunroof gasket can leak as well. There is a TSB about water coming in around the map light area if you go to NHTSA website. I guess you coul drain the washer tank and run the lines dry and see if the car dries up in a few days to eliminate (or convict) the washer line as a culprit. There are drain holes in front of the windshield under the hood at the corners that can become clogged by leaves etc. and allow water to enter through the fresh air vent.

There is no sunroof in the car, and no water or wet aywhere except in the floors at there lowest point. It has been pretty much raining or snowing for the last couple weeks. I just noticed the problem a few days ago because I had bought some speaker and I put the box on the floor behine the passenger seat and they sat there over night when I took them out the corners of the box were wet. It sees like where ever it is coming from it is coming from underneath because the floor mats are dry on top:confused:

The passenger front side sees to be the only place that there is no wetness. The other 3 spots you can see where they are wet. I will check uner the hood and seep if I can see where the drain holes are for the windshield. thanks.

Being as new as a '95 this would be unlikely....but hows the rust situation on your sube?

Ive had more wet floors than I care to think of just because of rust spots on the floorpans.

The rust lets the water up to the carpet, and it pools on your floor..... but the carpet doesnt let the water back out:-\

If no rust....Id have to say double check your seams & seals.

Being as new as a '95 this would be unlikely

Name kinda throws people, I should really change it...just bought a 2001 forester after I took the 95 impreza for drive head on into the side of a bus :(

It is an 01 forester that is leaking, I am not too sure about underneath I did have a machanic friend check it over before I bought it and he said the underneath looked good...

Just an update...

I was in at my local stereo shop getting speakers and such for my car and one of the guys there said the forester is known to have bad leaking problems, he sai that they used to come in all the time with "puddles" on th floors, has anyone heard of this? I did a search online and can't find anything about water leaks:confused:

Just an update...

I was in at my local stereo shop getting speakers and such for my car and one of the guys there said the forester is known to have bad leaking problems, he sai that they used to come in all the time with "puddles" on th floors, has anyone heard of this? I did a search online and can't find anything about water leaks:confused:

My '99 Forester has never had any leak whatsoever. I have not heard of Foresters having leak issues any more so then other cars. One exception, the Subarus with Sunroofs seem to have more leaks then without them.

Have the taillights ever been replaced? They need to be sealed with losts of gunk to prevent water from coming in.

The window/seal may need adjustment. There are guides on the doors to press it harder, or the glass may need to be adjusted.

You should do some detective work with a hose or bucket of water once you have it all dry.

Also I once had the window washer line break. It failed at the door hinge for the hatch. It should be on the driver's side. Pull the rubber grommet off and inspect the hose. I fixed mine with some hose splices from the auto store. If your rear washer doesn't squirt, but you can hear the motor running, then this may be it.

Hmmm, interesting thread. Now that you mention it, I bot my 2001 Forester used, 2 yrs ago. It has 84k on it and no sunroof. I noticed the head of the bolt and front bracket that holds the driver's seat to the floor were rusty. I sort of watch it to see if I ever spot puddling etc, never do see any. I have painted the bracket with rust-preventer paint. I chalked it up to the previous owner's getting in and out of car in rainy/snowy weather with wet boots.... Who knows?

Hmmm, interesting thread. Now that you mention it, I bot my 2001 Forester used, 2 yrs ago. It has 84k on it and no sunroof. I noticed the head of the bolt and front bracket that holds the driver's seat to the floor were rusty. I sort of watch it to see if I ever spot puddling etc, never do see any. I have painted the bracket with rust-preventer paint. I chalked it up to the previous owner's getting in and out of car in rainy/snowy weather with wet boots.... Who knows?

Your thinking is right on the money. My '99 had the same rusty bolts/brakets that you describe,moreover, last year when I removed the carpet for replacement, I found the rest of the subfloor to be dry and rust free. It was easy to paint the rusty parts with the seats out.

We have a real winter here, thus I use heavy rubber (they hold liquid) mats, and

I put pet pads (they're designed for puppies) on the floor, and against the seat anchors-no more rust. Hows that for anal.

I have a '93 Impreza with no sunroof that does the same thing.

Puddle on the rear driver side floor and some moisture by the trunk/gas release. It happens in a long hard rain WITHOUT driving it. I'll have to bunker up in the car in the middle of a downpour to see if I can see the stream coming in.

And there is sloshing and a pouring water sound when you first drive the car after a long drenching... like its pooling on top of the heater box or something.

There is rust around the windshield area, but that does not explain the puddle in the back. What is the procedure for "tightening" the windows?

Have the taillights ever been replaced? They need to be sealed with losts of gunk to prevent water from coming in.

The window/seal may need adjustment. There are guides on the doors to press it harder, or the glass may need to be adjusted.

You should do some detective work with a hose or bucket of water once you have it all dry.

Also I once had the window washer line break. It failed at the door hinge for the hatch. It should be on the driver's side. Pull the rubber grommet off and inspect the hose. I fixed mine with some hose splices from the auto store. If your rear washer doesn't squirt, but you can hear the motor running, then this may be it.

The tail lights have not been chaged to the best of my knowledge, I just purchased the car about 3 weeks ago. I have checked around the windows no water appears to be getting in there. The windshield washer fluid does come out at the back ok. I am hoping to get it dried out (hard because of teh below zero temps. and then take it through the car wash to see if it gets wet again. It really seems to be coming from underneath. The mats were all dry jus the carpet underneath was wet I have since removed the mats in an attempt to speed up the drying process.

Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions I really appreciate it!! :clap: