Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 tranny matchin up to EA82 Engine

Subaru_Mechanic

well i have a EA82 engine and wanted to know if it would bolt right up to my 81 tranny in the brat?

and another thing this engine was running really bad, tickin and limpin (shaking, the tickin was comin from the passenger side cam area) if i get everything new from the heads up would it run smooth again? the engine was runnin on the bad side or off cylinders 1 and 3 (ticking side)

or should i do a complete rebuild and make the engine as powerful as possible. if so is there a website you would recomend?

engine won't bolt up to the tranny, sorry. The tranny you have is a top mount starter EA81 tranny which only came in the '81 GL Brats. You can take an older EA71 from a gen 1 and bolt it to it but the bellhousings are different between the newer EA81/EA82 then this EA81.

The ticking from the EA82 is probably a lifter tick. Unless the engine has bad compression in one of the cylinders, there's no need to rebuild it. Also, if the heads aren't warped, no need to replace those either. Just get a full gasket set from Subaru and do a complete reseal from top to bottom and you should be fine. Depending on the miles though, I'd recommend new water and oil pumps as well.

engine won't bolt up to the tranny, sorry. The tranny you have is a top mount starter EA81 tranny which only came in the '81 GL Brats. You can take an older EA71 from a gen 1 and bolt it to it but the bellhousings are different between the newer EA81/EA82 then this EA81.

The ticking from the EA82 is probably a lifter tick. Unless the engine has bad compression in one of the cylinders, there's no need to rebuild it. Also, if the heads aren't warped, no need to replace those either. Just get a full gasket set from Subaru and do a complete reseal from top to bottom and you should be fine. Depending on the miles though, I'd recommend new water and oil pumps as well.

All EA81 engines used the side mount starter, even the one in an 81 Brat.

Your tick can probably be addressed by resealing or replacing your oil pump, search for reseal and pump (3-character words don't register in the search :rolleyes:).. an easy job on your car...

well i have a EA82 engine and wanted to know if it would bolt right up to my 81 tranny in the brat?

and another thing this engine was running really bad, tickin and limpin (shaking, the tickin was comin from the passenger side cam area) if i get everything new from the heads up would it run smooth again? the engine was runnin on the bad side or off cylinders 1 and 3 (ticking side)

or should i do a complete rebuild and make the engine as powerful as possible. if so is there a website you would recomend?