Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rear ebrake mod using 240sx calipers

I am working on the rear ebrake modification. I am using rear calipers that I pulled from a 240sx. I had to bolt them up to the stock caliper bracket. So I am using the stock caliper bracket and stock pads with the 240sx calipers and caliper pins. You can see my problem in the picture. The ebrake bracket coming off the caliper slightly touches the outer axle boot. Since I am using the stock caliper brackets, can I just use XT6 backing plates to get more clearance without doing the 5 lug swap (keeping stock smaller 4 lug rotors)? How much more cleareance will it get me?

My other problem is that the stock brake line is too short. I should have grabbed them off that 240sx when I pulled the calipers. I'll have to go back for them.

Lastly for the routing of the hand cable, I wasn't going to worry about until I get to that point. My first attempt will probably be just routing the stock cable towards the back.

post-66-136027620126_thumb.jpg

post-66-13602762013_thumb.jpg

hmmm...I didn't have that problem. I had a bracket resting against the trailing arm that I had to bend a little, but nothing too serious.

the stock cables won't reach the rear end. I just found that out a couple weeks ago. if you just undo them from the front, and re-route them to the rear, they come up about 8" short. and that's with a much tighter bend in the middle than I'm comfortable with. you need a handle that is designed for a car with rear ebrake, so it pulls the right direction. I've got legacy stuff that I plan to use...but haven't gotten to that stage.

hmmm...I didn't have that problem. I had a bracket resting against the trailing arm that I had to bend a little, but nothing too serious.

the stock cables won't reach the rear end. I just found that out a couple weeks ago. if you just undo them from the front, and re-route them to the rear, they come up about 8" short. and that's with a much tighter bend in the middle than I'm comfortable with. you need a handle that is designed for a car with rear ebrake, so it pulls the right direction. I've got legacy stuff that I plan to use...but haven't gotten to that stage.

I think I remember reading your threads on the rear ebrake. You used the calipers from a 200sx. I am using the calipers off a 240sx so there are some differences. Here is a picture of what mine look like. The ebrake part sticks straight out.

As for the cable, I figured they may not reach, but I think they sell ebrake cable extension kits at autoparts stores. I haven't looked into them much yet.

i hate to say it but you got the wrong year / model...

i did the same thing. those are to old. you need to find a newer one.

-=Suberdave=-

Actually, these are pretty new. They are off an early to mid 90s 240sx (not sure of the exact year). I believe that the rear ebrakes are all the same from '89 to '98 (or whenever they stopped making them). There are many different models that people have used to do the conversion. I don't think there is such a thing as the wrong ones, because they all are the wrong ones. Its all about making them fit. I have read threads where people have used calipers from a 200sx, 240sx, and old supras. The 240sx was the closest thing I could find so I am going that route. There pretty good since they bolt up straight onto the stock caliper brackets. If I can get a little clearance between the end of the ebrake bracket and the axle then these would be perfect.

post-66-136027620135_thumb.jpg

all s13 (89-93) 240sx's have the same brakes (I know this for a fact) s14's may have diffrent calipers due to the fact some came standard with 5 lug wheels.

So the 240sx had 4 lug wheels from '89 to '93 and 5 lugs from '94 to '98? If this is the case, then I got my calipers from a '89-'93 because I remember the 240sx at the yard had 4-lug wheels.

can't you just bend the bracket out of the way? your already going to have to fab something for the e-brake cables so I don't think this would be much of a problem?

I suppose I could, but I was planning to do the 5 lug swap in a year or so, so that I can get impreza front struts. This is why I was asking if I can just get the XT6 rear backing plates to bring the caliper further from the axle. I was hoping I can use XT6 backing plates without doing the 5 lug swap so I can at least get the ebrake done before I do the full 5 lug swap (which is still a year away). I may just wait to do the ebrake conversion until then. I need to start hunting for XT6 parts.

the first set of calipers i got from a nissan looked like the ones you have. the cable bracket hit the CV. so the next time i was at pull a part. i found a 200SX early 90's and they pulled from the bottom rather than the side and they fit awesome.

-=Suberdave=-

www.suberdave.com

Numbchux, tried to use the 200sx calipers and still had to bend the brackets because the ebrake bracket hits the trailing arm. So it makes no difference whether I use the 200sx calipers or the 240sx calipers. Either way I have to bend the ebrake bracket or pull the caliper further away from the center by using XT6 backing plates or something. When you used the 200sx calipers, did they fit without hitting the trailing arm? And are you using the stock 4 lug discs and backing plates?

Numbchux, tried to use the 200sx calipers and still had to bend the brackets because the ebrake bracket hits the trailing arm. So it makes no difference whether I use the 200sx calipers or the 240sx calipers. Either way I have to bend the ebrake bracket or pull the caliper further away from the center by using XT6 backing plates or something. When you used the 200sx calipers, did they fit without hitting the trailing arm? And are you using the stock 4 lug discs and backing plates?

i have XT6 5 lug setup, with 200SX calipers.

-=Suberdave=-

www.suberdave.com

I have the 200SX calipers, with 4-lug. I do NOT have working rear handbrake. the bracket does hit the trailing arm with 4-lug (although just barely, I did get an extra one from another car at the yard and could easily bend it to get it to work), so I'm waiting until I actually do the 5-lug conversion to do something with the cables, and re-install that bracket.

you could put XT6 backing plates on there, but it would mean that only part of the pads would actually touch the rotors....yikes :eek:

hey, can one of you guys putting the nissan calipers on show me a photo of the bracket to which these calipers attach? basically, all the way back to the hub is what I want to see. I want to do a rear disc brake conversion on my 280Z but my brother threw away the $10 steel brackets from the maxima produced for six months with the right bracket.. my proudest-ever junkyard find.. and now utterly obsolete. (also cost about $120 to purchase "aftermarket" brackets identical in shape) I am wondering what I may be able to use.. The brackets I speak of can be seen at the top center of the following photograph..

large245581.jpg

Just idly curious. Always on the lookout for a possible source of retrofit parts :- )

i found a 200SX early 90's
this probably doesn't matter, but what i was looking through showed the 200SX didn't show up until 1995. the 2.0, 1.6, SX, and SX-SE all shared the same rear caliper part numbers from multiple places i searched, so that makes it easy. but they were all 1995-1999 (all identical), no 200SX available prior to 1995. none of the local stores carry them in stock, so i can't easily compare to the sets i have lying around. i guess you meant 1995 as being "early"? these are easy to find, not hard at all and widely available. thanks a ton dave, i've already go the larger calipers for my XT6, just need a set of these so i can put them on.