Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Nice Drivetrain for the brat?

Think I'd have to fix that car, and drive the piss out of it. I've seen worse fixed, you think when wrecked cars sell at auction they get parted out.... think again. A vintage mopar yard I used to go to also did salvage work, I've seen stuff that you woulda never though could go back together again look like new.

I saw a vid on youtube of a brat that had "a wrx engine" in it that ran in the tens.. it was one of those clips from the BBC car show, I can't recall the name of the series right now.. They *may* have said which engine it was, but it was TT (i think?)

search for it, it was called a brumby naturally.. and they raced it against a 1-liter ducati... neat vid, to be honest. nice brat, too.

BBC? That's britsh TV. What you saw was Australian. Oh, and it USED to have a big turbo sticking out the bonnet. I heard it got burnt in a warehouse fire, all gone now..

It had a EJ20 stroked to 2.2, single HUGE turbo, forgot what the model was. it also ran NOS and had plenty of other stuff. And it used the WRX gearbox too, of cause.

There is another one now that is blue has has a custom Auto trans for drags. It doesn't have as much HP, but it's fast.

Get that car, and put the whole driveline in your Brat.. Suspension and all.. It would be killer.

BBC? That's britsh TV. What you saw was Australian. Oh, and it USED to have a big turbo sticking out the bonnet. I heard it got burnt in a warehouse fire, all gone now..

It had a EJ20 stroked to 2.2, single HUGE turbo, forgot what the model was. it also ran NOS and had plenty of other stuff. And it used the WRX gearbox too, of cause.

There is another one now that is blue has has a custom Auto trans for drags. It doesn't have as much HP, but it's fast.

Get that car, and put the whole driveline in your Brat.. Suspension and all.. It would be killer.

Well, I just watched another YouTube video that I thought was the same series, and they were most certainly filiming in the scottish highlands, and I thought either they mentioned the BBC or the people who posted the video did... I will also add that I HAD thought the brumby video was australian, until I encountered this second vid that I thought was the same series, AND i had gotten the impression was BBC produced.

So, I don't know where my misapprehension occurred, but I noticed it happening. I just hadn't caught it yet.

here is my $.02

First off, do it, but it won't be cheep or easy...

OK, these are a few of the issues that come to mind.

the motor will fit just fine in a gen 3+ vehicle, but like 88hatchmonster said some slight mods to the frame rails would make the motor fit, the 2.5t is a fair bit wider than a 2.2...

custome radiator mounts and IC hoses

the intercooler will be hanging off the front where the bumper was,

the exhaust will all be custom,

power steering is still straghtforeward with a ea81 ps rack and some modified hoses

the fuel pump will need a small fuel cell to keep inself in enough fuel to work(rugyver style), or a full fuel cell in the back.

The wiring will be nice and fun, but no real problems except a lot of tracing wires,

the trans should be just fine, the viscous center diff will do its job, the 04 sti didn't get the vccd trans, so it should just be a manual 6 speed, but trans mounts will be custom, so will linkage and driveline...

rear diff is a r180(correct me if I'm wrong), so custom rear diff hanger and custom rear axles, not to mention front axles with ea82T inner cups...

Suspension, well it could remain stock brat, but to get the sti stuff in there won't be easy

these are just a few issues that come to mind, i'd be looking for a legacy or impreza to swap into with a wrx 5 speed trans, it will be much, much less of a headace and much cheeper to build, maintain and repair down the road...

or put it up for sale at a hefty markup...

that car would need some serious pulling on a frame rack to even get near being straight again. Part it, because if you can get it fixed, it won't ever drive like it should again. Or get another WRX body and swap it in there:Flame:

nah just a little bondo and some krylon it will be fine :clap:

nipper

Well, I just watched another YouTube video that I thought was the same series, and they were most certainly filiming in the scottish highlands, and I thought either they mentioned the BBC or the people who posted the video did... I will also add that I HAD thought the brumby video was australian, until I encountered this second vid that I thought was the same series, AND i had gotten the impression was BBC produced.

So, I don't know where my misapprehension occurred, but I noticed it happening. I just hadn't caught it yet.

?? Hmmm, weird. Just so we know we're on the right track here. http://www.tonyrigoliperformance.com.au/subaru-brumby_gold.html is that the car you are talking about? Cos that's the one I'm talking about.

And as far as I know, it never left the country.

It had a EJ20 stroked to 2.2,

Sorry, wrong again, it has a EJ22 stroked the 2.4L..

?? Hmmm, weird. Just so we know we're on the right track here. http://www.tonyrigoliperformance.com.au/subaru-brumby_gold.html is that the car you are talking about? Cos that's the one I'm talking about.

And as far as I know, it never left the country.

Sorry, wrong again, it has a EJ22 stroked the 2.4L..

Oh gayness, I never clicked on your link.

Yah, thats totally a different brat. this one was blue, and just barely had the turbo sticking through the hood... also a later generation, i think. I will go digging later for it, and post a link.

not THAT much later, I just dont remember the quad headlight setup. let me dig a moment, will edit with a link hopefully soon..

bleah, my head was in a fog. same car, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enMDCVKVjUc I cant recall the name of the program I thought the clip had been excerpted from, but I criss-crossed a TV show name into that clip there, which wasn't actually there. Also, for some reason I came away thinking the car was blue.. *duh*

bleah, my head was in a fog. same car,

That's alright.. There is a blue one here in Australia as well that you may have seen. Sorta the same thing, only it has no tailgate and it also has a shoot out the back for drag racing.

Still, if I have a WRX engine.. or even a STi engine and trans it would be in my Brumby within a couple of months... And the lift kit would probably come out.. maybe not.

so how hard would it ACTUALLY be to put the newer suspension into the brat(or my wagon-79 :P )

Several hundred hours of ADVANCED fabrication.

Cutting, welding, machine-work, not to mention engineering. Not even close to a bolt-on conversion.

Certainly doable, though, if you're dedicated and fairly skilled.