Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bucky is getting Temporarily Retired Today

We are heading down to the DMV alittle later today to get Rocky Registered and everything and once we come back I will finish up some repairs on him ( cleaning the IAC, and giving him a tune up and some belt replacements) then he is going to be my primary while Bucky gets moved into the nice warm Garage. Plans are to basically ...replace his entire brake system,since it has been nothing but trouble for the past 3 years,reboot one axle and replace the other,fix some underbody rust ( the rear wheel well stuff)pull the motor again and replace the totally shot throw-out bearing ( 201,000 miles its time to go),new tires,fix his sloppy shifter and some of the bad controllers on the interior...and hopefully he will be ready by spring to be back on the road strutting his beautiful self again (sorry everytime I look at him I get a tear cause he is just so pretty). I have been thinking though ...( :eek: thats scarey) of possibly ...just possibly..doing an.......EJ22 swap on him. Because,I am being told that once I get used to driving Rocky and the power difference between that ER27 and the EA82 is so much different ( I have already discovered that ..ppprrrrrrrrrrr). That going back to an EA82 is hard. So I was thinking..EJ22 in a light little FWD EA82 body would be very very much the improvement..and the EJ22 is such the bullet proof motor ( if I have read right) that this might be a smart move yes?? Would I have to change the tranny to swap out the motor??

Anyway...I will miss my beloved driving buddy of almost 4 years..but I truely believe he understands...he seems to like Rocky to....But come on...isnt Bucky just one of the prettiest little EA82 wagon???

Hubcaps005-1.jpg

Plans are to basically ...replace his entire brake system,since it has been nothing but trouble for the past 3 years.....fix his sloppy shifter]

On the brakes: replace the brake lines to the rear drums in their entirety. I had complete failure on mine as the metal line becomes corroded at the hangers and suddenly blows out without warning. Of all the stuff you have in mind, this may be a lifesaver. I got lucky when mine failed. Had time to use the hand brake to stop the car. The failure is sudden and catastrophic.

On the shifter: I've posted some part numbers in this thread. Worth doing. Nice improvement.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36469&highlight=buzzing

You seem to have a pretty little wagon there. I am not sure how good an idea it would be to swap out a perfectly good motor. If it was me I would just do my maintence items and continue on with the motor I have, that is a known quantity, rather than with something that is unknown. I have Bucky's twin sister here (white 92 Loyale 4WD wagon, just bought for $80, and driven home 500mi) and while it is in considerably worse shape than Buckey, and is slower than my EJ22T Legacy, I feel the "flavour" of the car would be ruined by swapping in a more powerful, harder on gas, motor.

Of course this is just me, and I just bought this Loyale because I like them, but I kinda like underpowered, and good gas mileage.

You seem to have a pretty little wagon there. I am not sure how good an idea it would be to swap out a perfectly good motor. If it was me I would just do my maintence items and continue on with the motor I have, that is a known quantity, rather than with something that is unknown. I have Bucky's twin sister here (white 92 Loyale 4WD wagon, just bought for $80, and driven home 500mi) and while it is in considerably worse shape than Buckey, and is slower than my EJ22T Legacy, I feel the "flavour" of the car would be ruined by swapping in a more powerful, harder on gas, motor.

Of course this is just me, and I just bought this Loyale because I like them, but I kinda like underpowered, and good gas mileage.

Thanks...Bucky has just been a fantastic little car....bought him 4 years ago from a dealer for $600. I have always tried to keep up on his appearence.Always try to stay one step ahead of the rust...I actually take pride in this car...he has been shown twice and the kids were fasinated by the spare under the hood thing.It pains me very badly to retire him for a bit...But his motor is still good and strong..leaks like crazy and has a mildly oozing head gasket( lucky its an external leak)

The EJ22 is just a thought...its hard to give up my 40+mpg highway.

BTW..I happen to be very very partial to this EA82 wagon body style:grin:

Are you sure it's a head gasket? If you are leaking oil it's more than likely it's a cam box, there are "0" rings that go bad towards the rear, that can be mistaken for head gaskets.

http://www.economysuperstar.com/milesfox/subaru/service/cam.htm

There is no better time to re-seal the cam boxes then when doing the timing belts.

I averaged 43mpg (imperial) here over 500mi, my old 87 averages 45mpg (imperial again!) under any conditions.

I'm *thinking* Safari stripes for my 92:

http://www.pleasureislandsafari.com/wst_page7.php

Are you sure it's a head gasket? If you are leaking oil it's more than likely it's a cam box, there are "0" rings that go bad towards the rear, that can be mistaken for head gaskets.

http://www.economysuperstar.com/milesfox/subaru/service/cam.htm

There is no better time to re-seal the cam boxes then when doing the timing belts.

I averaged 43mpg (imperial) here over 500mi, my old 87 averages 45mpg (imperial again!) under any conditions.

I'm *thinking* Safari stripes for my 92:

http://www.pleasureislandsafari.com/wst_page7.php

I did the timing belts last year and had the entire engine resealed and rebuilt the oil pump..and I know all about the cam seals...a mechanic friend of mine discovered the oozy head gasket....also you have to understand the history of this car...it was a fleet car and then a rental for awhile...not to mentioned wrecked at least once..it was not treated nicely until I bought it.

As for the 4WD swap...you guys keep trying to talk me into that huh??:lol: :lol: :lol: ..But I have a 4WD Subaru now..my XT6..and I am having someone custom make a front bull bar and want to add 2 off-road lights to it...then its planned to be painted OMG Bright Yellow and black...want to keep Bucky more "mellowed":grin:

I did the timing belts last year and had the entire engine resealed and rebuilt the oil pump..and I know all about the cam seals...a mechanic friend of mine discovered the oozy head gasket....also you have to understand the history of this car...it was a fleet car and then a rental for awhile...not to mentioned wrecked at least once..it was not treated nicely until I bought it.

As for the 4WD swap...you guys keep trying to talk me into that huh??:lol: :lol: :lol: ..But I have a 4WD Subaru now..my XT6..and I am having someone custom make a front bull bar and want to add 2 off-road lights to it...then its planned to be painted OMG Bright Yellow and black...want to keep Bucky more "mellowed":grin:

Well everyone seems to want you to go 4wd i vote you keep it 2wd. Better gas milage cause of less weight and hell you can get through alot with only 2wd. Buckys looking good for middle aged :grin:

you get my vote to keep Bucky 2 whl dr - Hildy is, and will probably stay, 2 whl drive, and that is the way i like it. we have others that are already 4 whl dr, one a dual range - dont need to go thru all the headaches, scraped knuckles etc, to do the swap.

Sorry to hear of the retirement - even if it is temporary - i know how it is - but it will be worth it in the long run.

And yes, I think Bucky is one darn good lookin wagon!

on a brighter note - Hildy was put out on the road again today!! :banana: it has been a long road to get her there after our trip into the ditch, but she is back, and better than ever!

Keep us posted on Bucky's progress.

on a brighter note - Hildy was put out on the road again today!! :banana: it has been a long road to get her there after our trip into the ditch, but she is back, and better than ever!

Keep us posted on Bucky's progress.

:banana: :banana: :banana: on Hildy!! Its a good feeling huh?? Once I get Rocky into the Garage tomorrow ( couldnt today cause Tommy claimed it for his bike)and give him his tune up..Bucky is getting relocated inside where its nice and dry and warm. Gonna miss my boy and his quirkiness but thats what i love about him.

And thanks for the compliment... I try to do my best for my cars and keep them looking as good as possible..want them to represent in a good way:grin:

you are doing a GREAT job with Bucky! I can only wish that Hildy looked that good, but she hasnt looked that good in a very long time - was pretty rough when i got her.

even with the "new" parts, she is still not very pretty, but i dont love her for her looks (good thing! :grin: ) Plan on doing a little more body work when the warmer weather gets here....

Plans are to basically ...replace his entire brake system,since it has been nothing but trouble for the past 3 years.....fix his sloppy shifter]

On the brakes: replace the brake lines to the rear drums in their entirety. I had complete failure on mine as the metal line becomes corroded at the hangers and suddenly blows out without warning. Of all the stuff you have in mind, this may be a lifesaver. I got lucky when mine failed. Had time to use the hand brake to stop the car. The failure is sudden and catastrophic.

On the shifter: I've posted some part numbers in this thread. Worth doing. Nice improvement.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36469&highlight=buzzing

Connie, if you're planning on getting the brakes to work better, consider up grading to rear disks; it's easy, not too expensive and you'll never be sorry you did it.

Connie, just another thought. If you're planning on upgrading the EA82 to an EJ22 engine, consider upgrading to an EJ18. The EJ18 I have on our '94 Impreza is rock solid bullet proof, revs freely, and goes! It doesn't have quite the torque of the EJ22, but would be a very manageable engine to replace the EA82. About the same work too, but the big difference is cost. I see EJ18s on craigslist all the time for around $150 in good running condition; early Imprezas (especially the FWD version) that have been totalled go for a song because they have the smaller engine and everyone wants an EJ22. Rocky would love the EJ18; I don't think you'd be sorry. Good luck with all the upgrades. And yes, Rocky is very pretty.

One last item, the EJ18 gives me over 30mpg on the highway and I only get around 25mpg with our EJ22 powered wagon. One time coming back from a rallycross in Portland, fully loaded with tires and tools, and rolling right along it got 34mpg!