Ultimate Subaru Message Board

90 Loyale weird electrical issues

First time to post here. I tried searching the forum but found nothing similar to my situation.

I've had a 1990 Loyale for a few months now. One evening a week or so ago, I went to start her up. All the dash lights came on when I turned the key to the on position, and when I turned it to start, there was a loud click from behind the dash, and all the lights went out on the dash. Would not turn over at all. Acts like a dead battery. Twice since then, just by leaving it sitting for a few days, I have been able to get the lights to come on again, but always clicks and dies after turning to start. Today I noticed another weird thing. After all the lights being on and going out, if the key is in the on position, the oil light comes on very dim, flickering and clicking softly. The tach was moving up and down, synced up with how fast or slow the clicking was.

I have no idea what is happening here. I bought an ignition switch but haven't taken it out of the package yet. This doesn't really seem like a problem with the ignition switch anymore. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help I can get.

Mitch

Clean your battery terminals and cable ends, also chage your battery if you can. I know from laziness that if the cable ends aren't on good and tightend down it'll do that exact thing, seem fine and give a click when you go to turn it over. The jump start would likely have no effect, since you're still not getting a good connection. You might just want to go ahead and replace the cable ends anyhow, it costs like $5 and takes 10 minutes.

The dim lights could be coming from a bad alternator, but I'd check the battery and connections first. Besides, it's easy to rule out the simple stuff before you start taking apart the colum or dash.

It's either the starter, or the ignition switch wireing. Use a bit of wire to jump from the positive terminal of the starter (big, 12mm nut) to the solenoid blade (other wire going to the starter). If it turns over, then you likely have fualty wireing in the ignition circuit. Pretty common actually - the fix is to use the existing circuit to run a relay and give the solenoid full battery power.

If it still doesn't turn over, it's time for a new starter. Or tear it apart and clean the solenoid contacts.

GD

Check the battery connections first though, this has happened to me hundreds of times..... for me it come from having less batteries than cars

Sounds like he already tried jumping it, etc. That normally involves a lot of wiggling and messing about with the terminals. Being an EA82, it's more likely the ign. circuit or the starter itself. In my experience anyway.

GD

Thanks for all the replies. I finally got a chance to look at her and after wiggling the battery terminals(positive was a little loose), she started right up. The cables leading to the terminals are VERY frayed. Looks like someone did a pretty bad job of replacing them. Need to put that on my list.:)

Thanks again,

Mitch

am I the ONLY one with the occasional need to go wiggle a fusible link??????

It hasn't happened in some time, but once in a while i put key in, turn over, radar detector beeps its awful thing.. go to start, and get Full Dead Battery symptoms. ALL of it dies. All I need to do is go out and wiggle the fusible link that is third from the front of the car, and its back in business for another month or six..

I have no real PROBLEM, I know what the issue is and its alot easier to cope on occasion than replace the fusible link block...

...BUT every time I read one of these threads I think "oh oh, its my fusible link problem, i get to help them out and show them how easy it is to bring the car back to life, rather than waiting three days!!" I scroll slowly through the thread, and its always battery cables.

Just buy new battery cables, it shouldnt cost you twenty bucks. shouldn't cost you ten, you could make your own for under four if you have resources... BUT some stores, you never know... Anyhow, replacing the terminals is a band-aid. that copper (or Aluminum) in those wires is 20 years old now. send it to the melters, and get the car some fresh ones. It allows you to be SURE you have a good connection between battery and vehicle.

Thanks for all the replies. I finally got a chance to look at her and after wiggling the battery terminals(positive was a little loose), she started right up. The cables leading to the terminals are VERY frayed. Looks like someone did a pretty bad job of replacing them. Need to put that on my list.:)

Thanks again,

Mitch

Sweet, I'm on a streak!

Glad that's all it was for ya man, I used to have to deal with it pretty often. It only takes a second to rule out all of the simple stuff before you go throwing cash at the problem.