Ultimate Subaru Message Board

=Manual Transmission

1. What solvent can/should I use to flush the front transmission?

2. How can I flush the rear differential?

3. Are there any clutch alignment tricks I should know about?

4. whats the best way to break it in?

-thx, Jeff

Hi!

No need to flush anything. If you insist, then I suggest just pouring fresh oil in without installing the drain plug.

Clutch alignment requires the standard pilot shaft tool thingy - can't recall the trade name. Nothing fancy.

Running in shouldn't be too tricky, just drive normally and avoid "jack-rabbit" starts for the first 300 miles. Avoid them anyway of you want it last for a long time ;)

The spring pins did not go back into the outer CV assymbly while a drill bit of the correct size slid easily through. Is it possibly misaligned, or do I just need new spring pins? Also, can I put somthing in the holes besides the spring pins and change them out after a few days of driving?

One of the pins broke from trying to tap it in, the other is bent, but in over half way.

I think the rear transmission case needed to be more level. Can I get back on the road with the springpins in the above condition and just switch them out in a few days?

One other question: How can I tell the difference between binding and good connection -gear to spline- in the transaxle? (ie): is there a tolerance I should be "feeling" for?

--god bless heated shops--

Jeff

One of the pins broke from trying to tap it in, the other is bent, but in over half way.

I think the rear transmission case needed to be more level. Can I get back on the road with the springpins in the above condition and just switch them out in a few days?

One other question: How can I tell the difference between binding and good connection -gear to spline- in the transaxle? (ie): is there a tolerance I should be "feeling" for?

--god bless heated shops--

Jeff

You have to align the counter sunk hole that is on the splined shaft with the counter sunk hole of the inner c/v hole when you assemble it back together ,then the pin will go through without bending

The pin hole is drill off centre

SEA#3