Ultimate Subaru Message Board

best mods for my brat

Subaru_Mechanic

I don't know that ANY aftermarket suspension is available for gen 1s. I suppose you could get custom springs made for the front struts. You should check and see if springs from an RX will fit. I ran those on my lifted 86 wagon, and they seemed to help a lot on the high speed bumps. For the rear, I know some people here have added the EA82 strut/spring combos to their EA81 cars, increasing suspension stiffness and damping, and it might be possible to do something similar on your brat. Making a strut brace would probably help the handling as well.

I don't know that ANY aftermarket suspension is available for gen 1s. I suppose you could get custom springs made for the front struts. You should check and see if springs from an RX will fit. I ran those on my lifted 86 wagon, and they seemed to help a lot on the high speed bumps. For the rear, I know some people here have added the EA82 strut/spring combos to their EA81 cars, increasing suspension stiffness and damping, and it might be possible to do something similar on your brat. Making a strut brace would probably help the handling as well.

how could one make a strut brace?

Here's a picture that sort of shows the "tuned by Home Depot" strut brace I made for my wagon years ago. It's just some angle iron with holes matching up to the inner-most strut mount studs.

310readersrides4.JPG

As far as WRX suspension, anything is POSSIBLE. Just remember that the track width is probably different enough that you will have to shorten virtually EVERY suspension component, and do it precisely enough to maintain alignment. The front struts MIGHT fit into the towers on your brat, but in the rear, you will have to make all new strut towers, because the rear suspension is totally different.

how about i just get a wrecked or totaled WRX and put everything on my brat...

will that work?:confused: id hate to modify everything

I would say too much work for what it is worth. I would look at getting new shockers for the back (maybe custom mount with double shockers) and ifyou can't get new shockers for the front, make a custom adapter to fit newer (two bolt design) shockers to the 71 style hubs. (I assume the EA71's use the same hub design as the EA81?) I've even heard of someone doubling the shockers on the front as well..

Just food for thought.