Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Split Block?

The motor in my Brat froze last month, and cracked a head on an outside water jacket. I'm thinking about splitting the block to see if it is still good or what. But, i'm not sure if it is worth the time/work, if I could just buy a new motor. Any one have ideas/thoughts/experience?

what exactly happened to the engine to make it "crack the head"? if it just lost a head gasket -replacing that head and gasket should have you back in good shape. if you suspect any block issues, then buying a good used block might be the best bet. get a used block and put new head gaskets on it if you want to avoid head issues in the future.

what exactly happened to the engine to make it "crack the head"? if it just lost a head gasket -replacing that head and gasket should have you back in good shape. if you suspect any block issues, then buying a good used block might be the best bet. get a used block and put new head gaskets on it if you want to avoid head issues in the future.

Well, I did not have any anti-freeze in the motor, straight water. A head cracked from the freeze, also blew out my intake gaskets. Some one told me that they have rarely seen a cracked subaru block.

dude that sucks. i can't offer any input on that one. slapping on some new head gaskets and a used head and you'll know pretty quick if the engine is good. headgaskets are easy enough to do that maybe it's worth it to you to try it out? i wouldn't bother splitting the block, i'd hope it's good and if not i'd look for another used one.