Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How can I remove(saprate) the tires from the rims? I got 2 good wheels/tires from Nissan Maxima, dont want to pay $10 per tires removal fee from NTB.

I seems to remember seen some tool(2 metal flat bars) just for this purpose.

Please advice

Thanks

It can be done with two big pry bars, but first you need to unseat the tire from the rim. The rim is shaped kind of like a U with about 1 inch of a flat lip on the tops of the U. The tire needs to be forced off of that lip so that it can sit down in the U. Then you can shift the rim around inside the tire and use the two pry bars to work the tire off the rim. Garages and tire places have special "presses" to unseat the tire. It is a very difficult thing to do with out some kind of press.

it can be done, but it's worth the $10 to have it done unless you really can't spare $10. throw them in the trunk and pull over any time you see a little mom and pop shop, they'll often do it free or cheaper. the last set i had removed was free, first place i stopped at.

now, if you're still wanting to do this yourself, and it is a PITA....lay the tire on the ground and drive the front end of the car up on top the tire and stop it just before it gets on the rim. you want the weight of the vehicle right at the lip, but all of it bearing on the rubber tire itself, as close to the bead as you can get. then start prying. the weight of the car will help break the bead. good luck and try really hard to have fun.

[...]

now, if you're still wanting to do this yourself, and it is a PITA....lay the tire on the ground and drive the front end of the car up on top the tire and stop it just before it gets on the rim. you want the weight of the vehicle right at the lip, but all of it bearing on the rubber tire itself, as close to the bead as you can get. then start prying. the weight of the car will help break the bead. good luck and try really hard to have fun.

This may be obvious, but if you decide to try the above or anything similar, fully deflate the tire and remove the valve core beforehand.

Take it to a tire shop and be done with it. 10 bucks is well worth it unless you do not have anything else to do for the next 4 hours and then take them down to the tire shop. I had a friend that tried to unmount a ATV tire. After a couple of days he took it to the tire shop and 15 minutes later he had the old tire off the new tire on and was drinking his second beer at the bar.

Jim

#1 YES! It was obvious in my mind, but I should have mentioned it.

This may be obvious, but if you decide to try the above or anything similar, fully deflate the tire and remove the valve core beforehand.

#2 My father and I have been doing it in our garage with two pry bars and our bead breaker for years. We still do. It's not that bad if you are just doing one or two.

The real key is balancing. If you're mounting a new tire then you need to get it balanced, and that is something that isn't easy to do, even if you have a simple bubble balancer. So While this meathod works, if you are installing a new tire and want it to be balanced, then just take it to a garage. Much faster and easier, and it gets done right.

Keith

Don't do it. It's worth the $10. I tried to dismount a 15" tubeless truck tire, and was with a guy who had been dismounting his own tires for years (since the 30's when tires were a little different). We had a specially modified hilift jack that locked under the bumper of his truck to break the bead. And the two tire irons. Took us 30 minutes just to break the bead, and then after another 45 minutes with the tire irons, we gave up and took it to a tire shop. Modern radial tires are just not the same as old tires used to be.

My experience...