Ultimate Subaru Message Board

oil thinga on lo-range gears 5sp, needed?

(FYI the EA82 D/R gearbox is almost the same as the EJ22 D/R gearbox)

Is this really needed? I couldn't fit it in the Subaru Liberty(EJ22) D/R gearbox with the EA82's Lo-range gearset without modifying it. What does it do?

It looks like it collects the oil that has been splashed onto the low range gears off of the ring gear, then sends it all back down behind the ring gear to the sump of the gearbox. So with out it I think it will just flow more oil over the diff, which isn't a problem?

RIMG0109.JPG

RIMG0111.JPG

First, the mod to it would cut half of it off. And second, I already have the gearbox sealed back up (oops :rolleyes:)

I could only find the one from the EA82 gearbox and thought the EJ22 box didn't have one, then I found it and went "oh ____"

Kinda changes things..

First, the mod to it would cut half of it off. And second, I already have the gearbox sealed back up (oops :rolleyes:)

I could only find the one from the EA82 gearbox and thought the EJ22 box didn't have one, then I found it and went "oh ____"

Kinda changes things..

I don't think that an increased oil flow over the diff will do any harm, but the decrease in oil on the bottom MAY do some harm, IMO you won't really notice anything, this is probably one of those things FHI invented to increase life-span from 150k to 200k or make it more economical or something

not really something to be bothered with :grin:

Oil slinger? If its purpose is really to pick up the oil and make sure it drips onto the input shaft.

Phizinza had it pretty close. Thinga and slinger rhyme in Australia.

Hahaha.

As far as I can see it holds the oil in the first lowrange gear so that gear can push it in towards the imput shaft bearing. But I can't see how that bearing is going to have any shorter life then the one at the back without the piece. If anything the first bearing is going to still be getting more oil to it. I'm going to see how it goes without it, if the bearing dies I can easily replace it, or if I want that part back in there I might also be fitting a front LSD at the same time.

sorry to have gotten it off onto that tangent, dude.. i just wanted to bust your chops a little, not TOTALLY derail youre thread.

My advice would be, PM bratsrus and try to see what he thinks in greater detail. He seems to be the one against operating without it, and baccarudda is backing him up... the rest of us seem more or less ignorant on this particular issue.

From there, hey, its your gearbox. If you want a trans thats missing its thinga, then go for it. I would see what Jerry thinks first though.